Just for fun, below is my list of famous & fun cheese quotes, sayings, facts, and a game a friend told me she used to play in car (OK I think too much about cheese).
- In 1546, author John Heywood wrote in “Proverbes” that “The moon is made of a greene cheese.” But in 1546 greene meant new, unaged, not green in colour.
- In late 1700′s famous French philosopher, gourmand, and avid cheese lover Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin said “A meal without some cheese is like a beautiful woman with only one eye”.
- In 1883, Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson in book “Treasure Island” when castaway Ben Gunn finally is found by young Jim Hawkins says, “You mightn’t happen to have a piece of cheese about you, now? No? Well, many’s the long night I’ve dreamed of cheese–toasted, mostly–and woke up again, and here I were.”
- In early 1900′s, American comic actor W. C. Fields said “The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath.”
- In 1960′s, Clifton Fadiman an American writer, editor and New Yorker book reviewer wrote “A cheese may disappoint. It may be dull, it may be naive, it may be over sophisticated. Yet it remains, cheese, milk’s leap toward immortality.”
- In 1962, French General & Politician Charles De Gaulle in “Les Mots du General” wrote “How can one be expected to govern a nation with 246 kinds of cheese?”
- In 1979, in British Monty Python movie Life of Brian, a scene spectator who mishears “Blessed are the peacemakers…” says “I think it was Blessed are the cheesemakers”.
- In 1995, in Wallace & Gromit in A Close Shave movie: Wallace courting Wendolene says “Won’t you come in? We were just about to have some cheese.” Wendolene replies “Oh no, not cheese. Sorry. Brings me out in a rash. Can’t stand the stuff.” To which Wallace replies with a gulp “Not even Wensleydale?”
- Say Cheese please.
- Who cut the Cheese?
- Who moved my Cheese?
- As different as Chalk & Cheese, English saying in reference to an extreme difference, for this saying it’s texture.
- Just follow the Cheese.
- All you need is Cheese.
- Mi Queso Es Su Queso/My cheese is your cheese, a play on phrase my house is your house.
Fun Cheese Facts
- There are over 2,000 varieties of cheeses.
- Remains of cheese have been found in Egyptian tombs over 4,000 years old.
- In 1869, English Cheese makers Green’s of Glastonbury made and gave British Queen Victoria a wedding gift of a giant 1/2 ton Cheddar wheel.
- The terms “Big Wheel” and “Big Cheese” originally referred to those who were wealthy enough to purchase a whole wheel of cheese.
- The average American eats 32 lb / 14.5 kg per year of it.
Fun Cheese Game
- In car, when bored, each person in turn says the name of a cheese type, if can’t remember one then you are out, last person to name one wins!
Fun Cheese Joke
- What type of cheese is made backwards . . . . . . . . . . . . Edam!