This Wiki Article discussed gravity draining devices used to hang curds in cloths to drain whey from. Common cheeses that are gravity drained in cloth are Quesco Blanco, Cream Cheese, Light Cream Cheese (American Neufchatel). Minimum and preferred requirements and examples are discussed below.
Requirements – Minimum
Minimum requirements are:
- Strong enough to bear weight of curds to be drained. Note, the average Specific Gravity for raw-whole cow milk is 1.033.
- Example – 3 liters weighs 3 liter x 1.0 kg/liter x 1.033 = 3.1 kg.
- Example – 1 US gallon weighs 1 USG x 8.35 lb/USG x 1.033 = 8.6 lb.
- Corrosion resistant or painted.
- High enough to support hanging curds in cloth with whey catch device beneath.
Requirements – Preferred
Preferred Requirements are:
- Easily cleanable to keep hygenic.
- Ability to store away compactly.
- For small batches:
- Camera tripod with hook system from bent coat hanger or bungy cord.
- Metal wall hook.
- For medium batches:
- Frame built from common white PVC pipe.
- For large batches:
- Commercial stainless steel frames with multiple hanging points.