PH question

Started by staciestitches, July 31, 2012, 07:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staciestitches

I am new to cheesemaking. I have made mozzerella many times, feta, cheddar, and gouda. I was trying to make parm and after adding the rennet, it started to coagulate immediately. I think I overstirred the rennet, but I was wondering if the ph was too high. I added yogurt as a starter. 3 oz per gallon of milk. The PH of the raw milk was around 4 and the PH of the yogurt was around 6. I am using strips at this time until I can get a PH meter.  Was it possibly too acidic? I can't seem to find anywhere what the PH of a thermophilic starter should be, or what the ratio should be of starter to milk. I have Ricki's book and have been following this forum. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Tomer1

I think you got it the other way around. the yogurt was perhaps around 4 and the milk around 6 (more toward 6.5-6.7).   the sticks are very unreliable, you might as well use a time based recipe.

What do you mean coagulated immediately?  how long after renneting did you start to set?
You likely added too much rennet rather then over stirred it.

staciestitches

Yes, you are correct. I got the numbers backwards. it was almost immediately after adding the rennet. The recipe i have says to stir for 5 min after rennet is added (this isn't Ricki's recipe). About 30 sec to 1 min after rennet was added the curds separated and it looked like a very dry cottage cheese minus the whey. I added 1/4 tsp to the recipe. It was liquid rennet.  I have not stirred like this after using rennet before. I would normally stir for 15 seconds and leave it alone.

Tomer1

After renneting, you mix up and down for 10 strokes and LEAVE the milk alone.  this is when connections are made and you cannot disturb the milk.

staciestitches

I figured that is what I did.  :(   Thank you for your help. I will try it again and not stir. My gut told me the recipes directions were wrong, but since I am new to this I thought I should follow it the way it was written. Live and learn. I am enjoying this new hobby. Have a great week.