Author Topic: Cheese Cloth - Cotton Flour Sacks  (Read 8879 times)

LadyLiberty

Cheese Cloth - Cotton Flour Sacks
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:58:28 AM »
Well I found these at the dollar store.  They are large, thin cotton towels and they called them flour sack cloth.  Anyone used these for draining curds?

wharris

Re: Cheese Cloth - Cotton Flour Sacks
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:15:57 AM »
Do you have a picture?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »
Do you have a picture?

I can take one tomorrow...

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:13:46 AM »
You just have to make sure they're not made with dies or anything, even if they were white they can contain dies or other compounds. To me for cheap stuff I always tend to use the items made for what I'm doing when it comes to food. That way there is no doubt if you run into a problem down the line, one less thing to worry about.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »
You just have to make sure they're not made with dies or anything, even if they were white they can contain dies or other compounds. To me for cheap stuff I always tend to use the items made for what I'm doing when it comes to food. That way there is no doubt if you run into a problem down the line, one less thing to worry about.

Well... since the natural color of cotton is white, I really don't think they dyed this.  I do dyework, and that would be sorta redundant.  They were probably bleached though.  Unfortunately, it's probably not organic cotton, and probably from China, so I'll wash these before I use them.  Fortunately I still have some cheesecloth for tomorrow's ricotta.

Tea

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »
I have used a cotton teatowel when I have needed an extra draining mat, or to hang cheese for extra layers.  I haven't used one though as a pressing cloth in a mould.

What are you hoping to use it for?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:31:25 PM »
I have used a cotton teatowel when I have needed an extra draining mat, or to hang cheese for extra layers.  I haven't used one though as a pressing cloth in a mould.

What are you hoping to use it for?

to drain cheese.  Cheese cloth is expensive and gets stretched out an ratty pretty fast.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 04:55:40 PM »
Lady Liberty
I can't agree with you more on the cheese cloth getting ratty.  I have been looking for bulk nylon material that they use for grain bags in brewing that I can then make custom sized liners for my molds.
CC

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »
Captain did you see my post on mesh. It's all I'm using now, if you want a demostration you're more than welcome to come by and see it in use.

Terfst

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »
Yes, I have used them and they are Wonderful!! They are like the old diapers of gone days but cheaper than doing a search for diapers.

Just wet them first, which is so simple because they really get all wet fast. Then dump the curds in and it drains in a jiffy. Now, that I have found them I am never going back to muslin, store bought cheese cloth, and/or old pillow cases, etc.

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum, where did you get yours? In same USA "Dollar Store"?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »
I found a similar dishtowel at WalMart I use. They are great! I wish I would have bought a dozen packs of them but I only bought one and now they are MIA. I cut one into 4 pieces for molds and washing. I will check the dollar store they are GREAT! Nothing gets through except the whey! 

Do they look like this?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 05:01:43 AM »
Sam's Club has flours sack back in the restraunt supply section.

Terfst

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 06:26:08 PM »
I found them on the web for an outrageous price but stumbled upon them at Walmart. I figured I would give it a shot, after trying so many other things that did not work. I believe it was 6 oversized towels (diapers) for $5.50. I have made 6 batches of 1 lb cheese. Washed, sanitized and then started over. Their ends are long enough to tie around a board to hang the draining cheese over a deep pot, which frees up the sink area.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 02:35:29 AM »
I like them a lot for draining curds.