Author Topic: Mary's Butterkaese #5 - aka "Boofer's Butterkaese"  (Read 14714 times)

george

Re: Mary's Butterkaese #5 - aka "Boofer's Butterkaese"
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 07:02:24 PM »
Okay, I just wasn't sure if you already had FD or not.

Is the LM57 meso or thermo?

bbracken677

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »
Meso...the following is the description:

"This culture produces CO2 and diacetyl (butter flavor) in cheese due to citrate fermentation. Used as an enhancer for Blue cheese and Gouda along with MM Series."

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »
This looks good.  I think I'll try this for my next Butterkase make.

- Jeff

george

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »
Oh thank you, Jeff, for posting here.  It allowed me to be lazy give you that long-delayed cheese - but unfortunately I can't increase your karma more for at least another hour.

(no, really, it says you can't do another karma action for another hour)   :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »
Thank you!  The longer floc will be interesting.  I'll end up using a yogurt for my thermo, and I like a bit of LH in there too, but will have a go at your procedures and such.  I have to use store bought milk, so will need some CaCl in there, and I'll have to jiggle longer, etc, but will see.  The higher moisture content should get it to age quicker than mine.  Faster can be good!

- Jeff

george

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »
Jeff, why would you have to jiggle longer?  From my perspective (don't know if you have the 200 Easy book), the procedure I posted already jiggles WAY longer than the original recipe calls for.  I think the recipe says stir 10 minutes after adding all the hot water all at once - with the 2-degree rule, you're usually looking at 10-20 minute stir during temp raise (depending on how much it cooled down during cutting/resting etc.).

Oh my, I'm starting to become a cheese nerd now, aren't I?  I guess that's what happens when you actually start feeling good again.  You start posting, and posting, and ...   :)

bbracken677

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:27 PM »
Glad you are feeling well!  I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my cheese press (next wednesday) and will probably start my butterkase per your recipe aka "Boofer's Butterkase" which should probably be renamed "Mary and Boofer's butterkase  haha

I am so tempted to try the cold water procedure tho...but this first make I will follow the recipe close and perhaps deviate on the 2nd make   >:D

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »
Hi,

The curds from store bought homogenized and pasturized milk, at least the milk I use, are quite a bit more fragile than the curds from raw milk.  If you shift from jiggling to actual stirring too quickly, the curds will break up; not shatter, but you knock off the corners, some break in half, etc.  The longer you jiggle and wiggle, the more whey gets expelled without breaking the cubes up, which allows them to shrink and firm up more. 

- Jeff

george

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
Oh, right, sorry - I forgot that part. 

bbracken677

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »
If I may ask...why only 1/16th tsp of rennet?  That seems like an awful little   

JeffHamm

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »
Hi bbracken677,

The amount of rennet to use depends upon how strong it is.  The terms "single" and "double" strength are sometimes used, but they are not really very specific.  Rennet strength is measured in IMCUs, which stands for "International Milk Coagulating Units".  Keeping all other things equal, if you normally use 1/4 tsp of rennet which is 100 IMCUs, and switched to a rennet that had the strength of 200 IMCUs, then you would use half your normal amount (so 1/8th of a tsp). 

Now, I have some store bought liquid rennet (Renco), which is around 65 IMCUs, and to set 10 L of milk I use about 6.5 ml of the stuff (that's just over 1 full tsp 1 tsp = 5ml in NZ).  I also have some calf rennet, which is stronger (280 IMCU), and I use about 1.6 ml of that, and if I use my 750 IMCU strength vegetarian rennet, I only use 0.6 ml!  All these amounts set my 10 L of milk around 12-13 minutes. 

In other words, without knowing the actual strength of the rennet, just saying the amount can be misleading.  A pint of beer is one thing, a pint of double proof rum is definitely another!

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 09:21:22 PM »
It comes in pints??  (hobbit)

Ok...cause for 3 gallons I would normally use almost a teaspoon, I think...will have to check my specs.

Thanks for the remarks...was reviewing the recipe since I will be making butterkase towards the end of this week! 

May the cheese be with you.

george

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 10:10:42 AM »
And the less-descriptive answer is because that's how much of the dry calf rennet I need to use with this milk at this time of year to get my 12-15 minute floc times.  In winter it can go all the way down to 1/32nd tsp for 3 gallons.    :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
Let me chime in here too. A lot of folks use liquid rennet and the amount you would use is different than what we few folks using dry calf rennet use. My usage is between 1/16 to 1/32 tsp for 3-4 gallons. That's been pretty consistent. I guess I'm surprised that you're using dry rennet, george. Now I feel all warm & cozy that someone else is using the dry.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bbracken677

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »
Ah...thanks! That explains it...