Author Topic: Cheesemaker Hygiene  (Read 12452 times)

wharris

Re: Cheesemaker Hygiene
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 10:55:41 PM »

Likesspace

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2009, 02:03:55 AM »
I used Starsan for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that I was VERY impressed.
Of course you can't TELL that it's actually sterilizing everything but I have no doubt that it works and works well.
As posted earlier I had a curd knife made and there were a lot of "darkened" areas from the welding process. I'd used a wire brush, a brass bristle scrub brush, dish detergent, hand cleaner, three trips through the dishwaster and everything else I could think of to get this dark color off of the stainless.
Well I finally gave up, since nothing was coming off on a clean white cloth and figured I'd given it a good enough scrubbing.
My last step before using it was to soak it in the Star San solution and lo and behold, all of a sudden I was seeing the typical shiny color of  the stainless steel come out of the previously burnt looking areas.
Once I saw that, I continued to soak in Star San....wash with dawn dishwashing detergent and then rinse with tap water.
After about 7 times of doing this, the knife looked absolutely pristine and I was not at all afraid to use it in my cheesemaking.
I figure that if this stuff will do what a dishwasher, brass bristle brush, hand cleaner and all other methods could NOT do then it must be something special.
In short, I'm sold.
Also, what's amazing to me is that the 32 oz. bottle I bought, should last a lifetime. I used 1 oz. per five gallon mix and according to Carter it is capable of lasting for over a year as long as it's in a sealed container.
That pretty much makes this the deal of the century!

Dave

chilipepper

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2009, 03:19:02 AM »
+1 for the starsan from me as well.  Works great and does keep forever.  Test the pH every once and a while and as long as it stays below 3 it will still be effective.  I've got one bucket that has been mixed for a little over a year.

The other interesting thing with StarSan is that it will take the paint off glass bottles.  i.e. Corona or other painted on labels.  Soak it in the solution...sometime for a week or more and it will be gone.  Very slick!

Mary Ruth

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »
I bought some Star San after reading about it, thanks Wayne and everybody! I didn't know it would keep a year till I read this thread, cool.  Makes it more economical.  Glad to hear I am not the only one with pets and wondering about those issues, got two fat golden retrievers and a himalayian kitty which makes pet hair a real issue at my house.  Would star san dissolve rougue fur that gets in a five gallon bucket I wonder....lol.  Try my best for cleanliness but suspect some germ or foreign good knows what will eventually introduce itself to my endeavors no matter how clean I am.  I will continue to clean everything and hope for the best.

wharris

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 11:50:40 AM »
Its not liquid plumber! ;) No it will not dissolve hair.

Somebody here said it here earlier, you can only do so much. 

I find that the best thing to do is to simply sanitize everything, including your hands.  Then cover your cheese as much as possible to keep the "floaties" from landing in your cheese.

Truth be told, i never tried keeping a batch of starsan  between batches of cheese, perhaps i will this next weekend.

goat lady

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »
Thank you for the post that vinegar works as well as bleach.It removed the milk stone as well.
my hands thank you as well ;D