Author Topic: Greetings from beautiful sunny North Carolina!  (Read 1120 times)

puttertat

Greetings from beautiful sunny North Carolina!
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
Hello all, I live in Cary, NC, just outside Raleigh, and just made my first mozzarella with  my 4 year old daughter, Grace, on Friday after visiting a local dairy and buying some farm fresh milk.  It was a huge success, and I'm just amazed to see what cheeses people are making everywhere in their own homes.  I've been to France a few times, loved the cheeses, of course, and am really  looking forward to making some more cheese, as well, of course to eating them.   :D  As I'm sure I'm going to have lots of questions, I'm delighted to have found you all!! 

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Greetings from beautiful sunny North Carolina!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:53:23 AM »
Hi there!  Were you able to make the soft balls of Mozzarella?  That's something I want to figure out.  I'm sure it's somewhere on the forum.  Fun, isn't it!

puttertat

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:19:34 PM »
YES!  It was very easy, I bought Ricki's mozzarella and ricotta kit, which advertises 30 minute cheese.  It took about 3 times as long, but like I said, my 4 year old was with me, and everything takes longer with her.  Also, I  was really worried that I would mess it up, so I was stopping to reread the directions every 30 seconds. I used very fresh milk, and it was so creamy and smooth and buttery/milky tasting, it was divine!  My husband said it was maybe just a little too creamy to use for tomato and mozzarella (we had that for dinner last night) but I totally disagree, it just melted in your mouth, and with fresh tomatoes, well, how can something be too creamy and good?  I didn't pull it and stretch it enough, so it was not stringy.  We did some like that, but my daughter ate it as fast as we could make it  ;D  I also folded some herbs into half the batch, he liked that better.  I didn't put it in ice water quickly enough, so it flattened out, but still, it was wonderful!

puttertat

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
So, what would anybody suggest as an easy beginner cheese, after having so much fun with the mozz?  My inclination is to do a Camembert, as it's my favorite, but I just read that it's not a "beginner" cheese.... I might just do it anyway  >:D

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 03:56:42 PM »
I made Brie inspired by the at home method detailed on a blog www.makingsenseodthings.info.   Search for Brie there.  I think the place you got your kit fromfeattured the Brie blog post somewhere on their website or blog as a guest post as well. At that location they give some amount clarifications.  .
I also like the tutorials on Gavin's site www.littlegreencheese.com.  I believe there are plenty of tutorials on this forum too but I haven't found my way around it yet.  I'm new here myself and decided to respond to your introduction because no one else had yet.  You can see my intro a bit further down the list in the intro forum if you want.

I've made 2 Caerphilly cheeses and they only need to ripen 3 weeks I think.  Quicker gratification.

puttertat

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
Thank you!  I'm all for quicker gratification!  Esp  b/c if something doesn't go right I would rather not have as much time invested in it. (yet) I found a local brewing supply store that has cheese making products, and carried Ricki's kits as well, so I was able to purchase it locally rather than mail order.  I've actually not heard of Caerphilly, so wouldn't think to make it.