Author Topic: Creamy Blueberry Delight  (Read 11904 times)

opalcab

Re: Creamy Blueberry Delight
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 04:50:17 PM »
The Cambozola was tooo dam good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just tried a different experment of 3 gals of milk to 4 qts of cream with Geo & Blue Molds and 5 months later I will see what I have ?
it sounded good too me my wife and I just love blues I have some that is 10 months old It is to die for

Everyone Fun Fun and experment often they turn out to be happy accedent
Stan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 05:23:24 AM »
I just love blues
Yes, Stan, but you realize this cheese is not a blue and isn't in the blue section, right?  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

opalcab

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »
Yes but I was awnsering your question

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 12:39:29 AM »
The cheese is at the two and half week mark. The Geo is replenishing itself quickly after I wash it. There appears to be some settling of the cheese and subsequent slight wrinkling of the rind. I anticipated that this cheese would be ready around 6 or 7 weeks, so it's about a third of the way complete in its affinage. I will continue to monitor the cheese for any extreme movement.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 04:44:40 PM »
I have been taking this cheese out for an airing and to wipe the minicave out every other day. When I do that, I merely rub this cheese all around and check for anything that looks suspicious. So far, all seems on course for an October opening.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
Boofer
that is one fine looking cheese, if it tastes as good as it looks MMMmmmmmmmmmmmMMMM :P
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

bbracken677

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 12:12:21 AM »
How soon are you going to give it a taste? 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »
How soon are you going to give it a taste?
This was fashioned after my Fourme d'Ambert #2 which was cut at 7 weeks and a day. It had the advantage of additional ripening via the blue slurry.

I was intending to cut into this cheese in October. October 7th marks 9 weeks for this cheese. I would expect it to be fully ripened by then. It looks good at this point so that October target may be pulled in.

Really curious about the innards of this effort and how the blueberries are doing.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

smilingcalico

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 05:07:14 AM »
Dang, Boof, what a beauty!  I really can't wait to hear what it tastes like!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
Boof - cheese looks great. A while back we had a discussion about blueberries and other acidic fruit causing problems in cheese. What I see in your photos is a slight "pulling away" from the fruit at the rind level. That is because the fruit creates a localized area that is more acidic than the paste of the cheese itself.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 09:05:02 PM »
Boof - cheese looks great. A while back we had a discussion about blueberries and other acidic fruit causing problems in cheese. What I see in your photos is a slight "pulling away" from the fruit at the rind level. That is because the fruit creates a localized area that is more acidic than the paste of the cheese itself.
Can I do anything about that in a future make? I believe you soaked your berries in some kind of baking soda bath, correct? I had tried leaching out some of the acidity but I don't think that was very successful, given the nature of the berry.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
I do a couple of things. First I rehydrate in sterile water (boiled and cooled to room temp) and a little baking soda. After rehydrating, the mix should be around 5.4 so you will have to play with your amounts. The exact pH is not critical but the point is too compensate for the extra acidity. Then I drain. Next I mix the berries in a bowl with the salt that I am going to use on the cheese curds anyway. I feel the berries uptake some salt and help protect against unwanted molds and yeasts. The salt also helps keep the berries from clumping together. Then just add the berries/salt mix to the curds as usual.

That has certainly helped me with localized acidity problems.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »
I do a couple of things. First I rehydrate in sterile water (boiled and cooled to room temp) and a little baking soda. After rehydrating, the mix should be around 5.4 so you will have to play with your amounts. The exact pH is not critical but the point is too compensate for the extra acidity. Then I drain. Next I mix the berries in a bowl with the salt that I am going to use on the cheese curds anyway. I feel the berries uptake some salt and help protect against unwanted molds and yeasts. The salt also helps keep the berries from clumping together. Then just add the berries/salt mix to the curds as usual.

That has certainly helped me with localized acidity problems.
Sailor, I neglected to ask you whether any blueberry character survived your pH realignment process. What was your final assessment of the cheese? Would you do it again?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 03:34:02 PM »
I use blueberries and cranberries this way at least every other week. My customers love them.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 05:29:40 AM »
Looks like I'll have to move on to Trial Number Two. Early results for this cheese are not promising. :'(

For the second time, I put my new trier to work, sampling the inner spaces of this cheese. The rind itself was a little more resistant than previous washed rind cheeses. The core sample (what I was able to extract) was fairly dry, crumbly, and somewhat acidic. Looks like you called it right, Sailor. The berries really brought the paste to its knees. Kids, don't try this at home!

I vacuum-sealed it to forestall any additional moisture loss and will relegate it to the longer aging suite at the back of the cave in hopes that additional time alone will help to correct the error of its ways.

If it continues to disappoint down the road, this cheese experiment will prove neither creamy nor a delight. :(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!