Rennet - Tablet vs Liquid Formats

Started by puttertat, August 05, 2012, 02:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puttertat

I bought the mozzarella kit that includes rennet tablets, can I use them in place of liquid rennet or do I need to go out and buy the liquid for something like Camembert?

Alison

Hi

I'm sure you can use them. Just remember to dissolve in chlorine free water.
I thought that the only advantage of liquid rennet over powdered rennet is that for smaller batches it is easier to measure small amounts of liquid in a syringe than to get the mass of powder right (quarter or half tablet). Any guesses out there?

regards
Alison

BobE102330

In my limited experience, the vegetable rennet tablets are OK for fresh cheeses, and I made my first very tasty Camemberts with it.  If you are going to make longer ripening cheeses vegetable rennet can impart an unpleasant flavor.   

I have had some troubles with vegetable rennet, at least at the quantities Riki Carroll recommends. (guessing the OP bought her Mozz. kit)  I had a couple of makes with flocculation times in the five minute range.  From what I gather reading here, we want to match set and acidification times for most cheeses.  Camembert is a bit less sensitive because the flavor is really developed by the action of the mould. (so says the Wiki recipe)

As a general rule, recipes here call for about half the rennet and culture that Rikki uses.  I've got several makes aging since discovering this, so I cannot yet tell you what a difference it will make.  I'm still settling in on my quantities of culture and rennet.  It's a lot easier to adjust the amount of liquid rennet than the discrete steps of tablets.

Another hint from a newbie who just discovered the difference quality milk can make.  I've had decent results using store bought milk, but last weekend I went to the farmers market and bought some local creamline milk. Not only did it yield about 25% more curd, those curds tasted like cheese after a bit of draining.  I could have filled more than 5 Camembert molds.  The dairyman mentioned his P/H milk was available in the supermarket, but I missed it.  At a $.20 premium over the standard stuff, I used it to make a Stilton approximation Sunday.  Probably didn't need it, but I substituted a pint of cream for the same amount of milk and drank the remainder.  Comparing the taste of that milk to Grocery store standard was like comparing a craft brewed stout to a low calorie light beer. I'm going to "splurge" and use it for every day consumption. Can't wait to get some fresh milk from a dairy I discovered 10 miles from home.   

Hope this helps.

Bob