Author Topic: Caerphilly again  (Read 2344 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Caerphilly again
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:48:34 PM »
Cheese # 28, Caerphilly # 4

I enjoyed the last Caerphilly so much, I decided to try and duplicate it. How nice that the waiting period is relatively short. My pH meter was not really working right in spite of trying to clean and calibrate just ahead of time.

2 gallons non-homogenized pasturized whole milk 6.6 pH
¼ tsp Flora Danica
¼ tsp calcium chloride
1.75 ml calf rennet
2 T salt
 Floc multiplier  3.5

Over direct heat with diffuser, milk temperature raised to 86 degrees. Culture sprinkled on, resting 5 mins, then stirred in, covered, about 75 mins resting at temperature.
Calcium chloride stirred in, then rennet.
Flocculation time of 13 mins. (3.5 x 13 = 45.5) Clean break at about 45 mins. Exact same as last time...!
Curd cut to about 3/8 inch, resting 10 mins, then gently lifted to break larger pieces which were not adequately cut.
Temperature raised to 90 degrees over a 15 min period, then maintained at 90 degrees for 65 mins while stirring gently.
Recipe suggested 40 mins, but curd did not seem squeaky and did not quite feel like I thought it should.
At 65 mins, the curd "felt" right.
Curd rested 5 mins, then drained into cheesecloth bag for 10 mins.
Cut into 1 inch slices, turned, rested 10 mins and repeated x2. (30 mins total) while keeping warm.
Curd was milled, and salt added.
Into form, with follower, and 10 # in pan so keeping warm, for 20 mins.
Into press, with 10 # for 30 mins, redressed, sprinkled with salt, and back into press with 20 # for 30 mins, then repeated with 20 # for 1 hour, then 30 # for 1 hour, then overnight with 50 #.
Next morning, the cheese weighed 2 #, 2 oz with a lovely smooth rind.
Susan

JeffHamm

Re: Caerphilly again
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:08:30 AM »
Sounds like it all went to plan.  Nicely done.  Photos?

- Jeff

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »
This one was eaten at about 4 weeks, at a family gathering for my daughter's wedding! It went over very well. Smooth and meltable. Taste was very good!  No photos because the camera has died.
Susan

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »
Glad to hear it turned out well, and for such a wonderful occasion!  I'm sitting here, enjoying a bit of caerphilly myself.  Yum.

- Jeff

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »
Jeff, I know you like your Caerphilly just as it is, but I am wondering if you have tried making any with pepper or herbs?
Susan

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »
I haven't.  I've only made one cheese where I added herbs to make a sage wensleydale, and It was great for  cooking, but not so great as a snack cheese.  In the end I decided that I can always add herbs to the cheese when I want them, but I can't take them out when I don't! :)

- Jeff