Author Topic: First Stilton approximation  (Read 12796 times)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: First Stilton approximation
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »
Looks good :o the PR is growing nicely, I waited 10 weeks on my 3 gallon Stilton and should have waited at least 12  :-\
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 05:14:13 AM »
Looks good :o the PR is growing nicely, I waited 10 weeks on my 3 gallon Stilton and should have waited at least 12  :-\
And 7 weeks for my Fourme d'Ambert was perfect.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
And yes Boofer a mighty fine looking cheese it is (or was ;) )
one thing I have been seeing on different blue makes is that the ones that have used a slurry from their favorite blue cheese, instead of a PR/PV or PR/PA dry mold culture , those makes seem to have a more aggressive mold growth than my cheeses have had using said culture, this could be why some of the other makes have a big blue bite that maybe to strong for some and do need to shorten ageing time compared to what I am experiencing, just sayin  :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 05:55:12 AM »
And yes Boofer a mighty fine looking cheese it is (or was ;) )
Thanks. Still there...vacuum-sealed and doing fine. 8)

You know, I bought some PRB18 a while back and have used very little compared to slurries here and there for different makes. I guess I need to drag it out and go through the Stilton cycle again. I wasn't thrilled the first couple times I did it though...too strong.  :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

bbracken677

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:51:46 PM »
I read your other thread and it brought up a procedural question...

Since your blue culture was a bit strong...could you, perhaps, add it to the curds prior to pressing and in that way slow/reduce blue development for a milder result? (got the idea from your differing applications of slurry over the 2 makes of FdA)

Really impressed with your cheeses, Boofer!

BobE102330

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »
It's funny, although the PR I cultured grew aggressively it does not have a strong bite. The cheese I took it from was still a medium bite after 3 months in the fridge. Maybe I just put a lot of it in the mix.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »
I read your other thread and it brought up a procedural question...

Since your blue culture was a bit strong...could you, perhaps, add it to the curds prior to pressing and in that way slow/reduce blue development for a milder result? (got the idea from your differing applications of slurry over the 2 makes of FdA)

Really impressed with your cheeses, Boofer!
Thanks. In my first FdA I added the slurry to the curds before moulding. In the second, the slurry was added to the milk with the cultures. If I understand you, you're suggesting to add the PRB18 to the curds as in my FdA #1 instead of to the milk as in FdA #2, right? Might be worth a try. Might minimize the blue saturation.

I didn't much care for the rind either. Wonder what a Stiltonesque cheese would be with a brined rind like Fourme d'Ambert? That rind is eminently edible.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

bbracken677

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »
Bob-I really love blue cheese and the stilton blue, such as you have made here, is rising on my short list of cheeses to make. What advice can you give to enhance a creamy interior paste?

Boofer-Sounds like a plan...something I may give a shot (brined rind).  I will have to do more research on this. I have read some of the threads related to blues, but I think it's time to dive into the deep end of the pool!   ;)

BobE102330

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »
Watching this cheese mature is a lot of fun.  Here they are at a month.  Only 5" in diameter, next time will be bigger.

BobE102330

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 07:15:13 PM »
Had to sneak a peek before this afternoon's party. Ok, I snuck a taste too. It's going to be hard not eating this before the guests arrive. Creamy paste, nice bite but not biting back. It's not as white as the iPhone  camera makes it look. I'm a happy cheese maker, having succeded in making the cheese that got me interested in making cheese in the first place.

I guess I don't know how to post pictures from my phone. When I get home I will post pictures of this handsome cheese.

JeffHamm

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 05:37:05 AM »
Sounds like a success!  So you aged it just over a month?  I think my next blue make will be relatively short aged and I'll work my aging up, rather than working back.  A cheese to your success.

- Jeff

BobE102330

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 03:30:58 AM »
Thanks, Jeff.  As far as I am concerned it is a success, one of the best cheeses I remember having (even accounting for parental pride)

Aged it just under 6 weeks (41 days)  Remember you suggested trying one at 40 days Jeff?  This PR didn't seem to get any stronger in the mother cheese than it is now.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:37:03 AM by BobE102330 »

Tomer1

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »
Looks creamy! :)

bbracken677

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »
Very nice looking cheese there!  My next blue will be a stilton for sure! Working on a gorgonzola currently....smells like dirty socks !!  The blue is just starting to take hold.

BobE102330

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
Thanks.  Yes, it is very creamy.  Topped a burger with some yesterday including rind, it was like eating a Stilton sandwich. (should have made a better burger)

Torn about the next make - I just bought some larger molds from Yoav so I could make a single cheese from a 2 gallon make.  A nice big hunk of moldy cheese or another pair of little ones.  My circle of friends includes very few who appreciate moldy cheeses.  My blue loving son is moving out (bittersweet).  At least my sweetie will eat it with me (in small portions, sans rind) and her mother is a big fan.  On the other hand there is something nice about a huge blue cheese...