Author Topic: First Stilton approximation  (Read 12762 times)

Spellogue

Re: First Stilton approximation
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »
We scrubbed the bare cinderblock walls with bleach when we moved in.  Worked for a short bit, but the funk came right back.  It's a challenge, as there are a bunch of built in shelves.  We use it as a pantry only for canned goods.  Can't even store boxed good in there.  Thought about trying a dehumidifier, but even if that works it defeats the purpose.  The finished parts of the basement don't have that aroma, so there is hope.  It's going to be a long term project I suppose.  Meanwhile I might try well sealed boxes.  The temp doesn't get down to the 50s in there until winter anyway.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2012, 02:53:53 AM »
People with chemical sensitivities use a clear sealant that seals in all outgassing VOCs from cabinets, flooring, etc.  I bet you could seal the blocks and that would do the trick......seal and then wash one more time?  And an air purifier might work better than a humidifier.  Hmmmmmm.

Spellogue

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 03:04:22 AM »
Sealing might be the thing to do.  We also have a similar room on the opposite side of the basement that we use to store firewood.  The block is painted in that room and it doesn't have the funk.  Another project on the horizon.

Spellogue

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2012, 03:14:44 AM »
Say Bob, any further sampling of your Stilton yet?  The veining penetrated so nicely already.  The 'goat Stilton I mentioned didn't have any veining deeper than about 1/2".  There was mild blue flavor throughout, but no visible veining.  Mechanical gaps must have been too few and far between.   There were two of these cheeses, one remains.  I'm debating piercing it.  Would that be a bad idea nearly 4 months into it?

BobE102330

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »
I have a small wedge left. It has been thoroughly enjoyable. Much like the cheese that donated the PR it hasn't developed more bite and has donated some of its mold to a new cheese. My second Stilton approximation is a nearly 3 gallon make that gave me a 3.6 pound cheese.  It didn't knit too well because my kitchen got cold, sol I am expecting even more blue veining.

Spellogue

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »
Before you know it you'll have a tenth generation cheese propagated from the additional morge!

It will be interesting to see if the strain evolves or shows different characteristics from any changes in each progressive make. 

michael fruin

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2012, 01:05:01 AM »
I made a stilton 3 months ago put it in the fridge in a plastic box. It blued nicely but isn't getting that classic stilton crusty mold on the outside.  Does anyone have a suggestion? 

Also, does anyone have a Shropshire recipe?

Michael

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2012, 02:38:33 AM »
Whats the temp of the fridge ?
what's the RH?
If you used a regular fridge I'm thinkin way to cold for PR to grow  :-\
 Maybe start a new thread? just so we can discus it
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/