Author Topic: Bandage Wrapping Formed Cheese - Aging With Other Cheeses?  (Read 3325 times)

valereee

Bandage Wrapping Formed Cheese - Aging With Other Cheeses?
« on: February 12, 2009, 01:46:51 PM »
I bandaged a cheese recently (I've waxed everything else) and it's starting to develop mold.  Which I was expecting, but now I'm wondering about leaving it in the same aging space as my waxed cheeses.  Will they be okay?  I'm using an old fridge as my cheese cave, and it stays at 55F with RH usually between 80 - 90%, occasionally dipping down into the 70s or going up into the 90s.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Bandage Wrapping Formed Cheese - Aging With Other Cheeses?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:42:25 PM »
Bandaged how? Just cheese cloth or did you smear it with something...such as this, doesn't my cheese look pretty. This is bandaged with cheese cloth and lard. Sweeet wonderful lard. Rosarita you are a god.

Anyway, no, it won't be alright mold is mold is will get everywhere. If the other cheeses are waxed then they should be alright, but you don't need that high of humidity if you're only storing waxed cheeses. Why did you bandage this one?

P.S. I wish I had a kid then this could be there science experiment.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:57:23 AM »
Wow, that is some wild scary movie lookin cheese!

Even my blues have never gotten that colourful!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:11:15 AM »
And that's my cheddar LOL.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:10:41 AM »
I just thought I'd mention that I'd read somewhere that white or green mold is okay but orange mold is bad. Damed if I can remember what the orange was.

kai

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:15:59 AM »
orange mold maybe Fusarium sp.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 12:00:53 PM »
kai, thanks, you are out of my depth as I only have high school biology. I googled "Fusarium sp" and lots of hits, most that I don't understand.

Carter, what happened to this cheese, did you un-bandage it and try some of the cheese?

thegregger

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »
Carter is right on the money.  Mold always wins in the end; it's just a matter of time before it finds imperfections in your waxing.  I recommend tupperware containers to isolate your cheeses, if possible.  The added benefit of tupperware is that it allows you to control the humidity of your cheeses on an individual basis.

Also, some of the websites offer coatings that you can put on your cheeses with natural rinds that contain mold inhibitors.  I use them on my Parms and Swiss cheeses, with good results.

Greg