Author Topic: paper sticking to white mould cheeses  (Read 2459 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
paper sticking to white mould cheeses
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:03:51 AM »
Hi all.

My white moulds tend to stick to the commercial perforated 2-ply cheese wrap over time.  Any suggestions here? Interestingly it only seems to happen to the cow milk whites, not the goat milk whites.

Thanks.

NVD.

Alison

Re: paper sticking to white mould cheeses
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 01:52:16 PM »
Hi NVD

I only do cows milk whites, I have not had much of the "sticking" problem but it has happened on old cheeses (more than 8 weeks) when they have got "soggy" ie the moisture around the packed cheese has wet the white mould loft, (it goes a bit green or B.linens orange and gets sticky).
Perhaps my commercial perforated 2-ply cheese wrap is different to yours though.

So I can only guess if your mould growth is low at packing it could happen earlier,
also if you do not rotate the cheeses even when they are packed the condensate can build up on one side, leading to the same problem.

The other place to check: How is your affinage room humidity (compared to normal)?
What is your salt content in the brine? Is it on the low or high side of your "normal"

Good luck -
regards
Alison

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:24:23 AM »
Thanks Alison.

I do use some linens so I will keep an eye on that.

What is your rotation routine?  I don't do this so that could be part of the problem too.

Thanks.

NVD.

Alison

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
Hi NVD

He he! er... In affinage I rotate the cheese once a week for 2-3weeks but the cheeses sit on a very coarse "grid" so the mould actually grows both sides. I pack and deliver the same week and rather keep the cheeses in affinage before that.

Sorry I see I wasn't so clear - A few months ago I did a trial of the quality after packaging and in my case the quality drop (sticky-soggy) only appeared after 8 weeks, as my mould growth is quite high and can take some build up of condensate.

About rotation after packaging: it will be a function of (at least) mould loft vs moisture. How old are your cheeses when the problem starts? Maybe rotate one or two times before that time interval? How well do you fold the paper edges? If they are sort of crumply and loose (not neat and tight) there could be more evaporation if you store the cheese folded edges up.

I'd love to know how you solve the problem...

regards
Alison

max1

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
You also want to wrap the cheeses in a cold environment.  When wrapping in a warmer environment than the cave, the cheese can "sweat" out a bit of moisture which you will then trap against the rind by wrapping.