Author Topic: Are pH targets the same for cows milk and goats milk?  (Read 3106 times)

Fishhead

Are pH targets the same for cows milk and goats milk?
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »
I know that quick questions do not always have quick and easy answers, but let me try. Are the pH targets the same for cows milk and goats milk? Temperature is usually different, but I have not read anything about pH.

linuxboy

Re: Are pH targets the same for cows milk and goats milk?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:38:32 AM »
Which goat milk? What breed? Micelle size differs, you can't really work with it the same way as cow plus there are milk PF differences between breeds, as well as casein subtype differences. Need to allow for casein degradation to take place properly, which is a balancing act between acidification and protein breakdown during aging. Can you please ask for a specific cheese? I can answer directly then.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:46:01 AM by linuxboy »

Fishhead

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:50:11 AM »
I was going to try a blue cheese using goats milk. I do not know the breed of goat. The local food co-op sells goat milk. If the breed is truly an issue, I can inquire and get back to you.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:57:21 AM »
Please, if possible. Where are you in NorCal? I might know who supplies the store. What kind of blue cheese?  They're more forgiving generally.

Fishhead

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 02:28:26 AM »
I am in McKinleyville and the store is the Arcata Co-op. I was going to follow the Ricki Carroll "Blue Cheese" recipe. The blue mold that I have is a Choozit brand. It is labeled P.roqueforti PV, LYO 10D. On the back of the package it says C9-Penicillium roqueforti.

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 05:34:22 AM »
Increase ripening time by ~20%, decrease hold temp pre rennet to 86F, and make the rest as usual.

smilingcalico

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »
My guess would be alpines or a mix of alpines and nubians.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
pH targets aren't the same from cow to cow, let alone cow to goat.  There are some basic rules you need to stick to though.  For example you need a demonstrated production of acid before renneting, I normally use a minimum of 0.1 drop, but 0.15 is best. 

For some cheeses you need to operate in a pH window, for example if you hoop swiss at a pH below 6.4, regardless of your start pH or milk type you are asking for problems in eye development.  If you make a camembert with mesophilics and the pH doesn't drop below 5.2 overnight, you'll have problems.  Same cheese, if the pH drops below 4.7 overnight, you'll have problems.  Within the bounds of the cheese type there is lots of room to play though.