Author Topic: Truffles  (Read 2180 times)

Mycroft999

Truffles
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:18:19 AM »
Hi again
Following the advice from here and arrival of my transatlantic lipase, I'm going to make my first grana type cheese this weekend. It will be a marriage of convenience of various recipes, but I would also like to add some Italian summer truffle to it. I have a couple of small ones in a jar proffessionally preserved in nothing but a little salt, with about quarter of a teaspoon of liquid running about the bottom of the jar.
Here's the plan: once I have my nice rice sized curds I was going to dribble the liquids from the jar over them, and stir in the finely chopped truffles before pressing and brining
Looking at the pic of the tartufo on this post:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1696.msg12835.html#msg12835
It seems to be how they have done it.

What do you chaps think?

Thanks for looking
Simon

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Truffles
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 02:52:30 AM »
I don't know f anyoe here has used truffles but I have been want to try them. Maybe when I win the lottery!

smilingcalico

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:21:11 AM »
I prefer mixing the truffle in by hand outside of the whey, just because the stuff is so precious depending on how much liquid there is, you might think about adding a little oil to the blend.

Mycroft999

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
Thanks for the input fellas......I've made the cheese and the rind is forming well with the odd bit of truffle poking through. It looks good at least!
These are the less expensive Italian black summer truffles....not the posh French perigord ones.

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:35:49 AM »
I know the cheese is already made, but you could even consider for the future a mix of mushrooms, including truffle to extend/expanding the flavor.