2/10/09 - For this batch I tried using true store bought skim milk with the addition of 1 pint of heavy whipping cream. I also didn't use CaCl2 in the process as well. At first I thought it would be kind of a disaster as the set was pretty weak but in the end it all seemed to work out (at least the molding).
Warmed the milk to 86 degrees and added 1/2 tsp of MM100 and 1/16 tsp each of P.candidium and Geo.candidium. Allowed to ripen for 110 minutes (why 110.. I don't know and I unfortunately didn't measure pH... I know what good am I).
Added 1/2 tsp of liquid veggie rennet and allowed to set for 60 minutes.
Ladled curd without cutting directly into camembert molds. A lot of whey accumulated on the bottom of the aging container and used a turkey baster to suck out excess whey as needed.
After about 2 hours I was able to flip with the assistance of another board on top.
Flipped again at 1 hour intervals 3 additional times before allowing to settle overnight.
Sprinkled salt on all surfaces and put in aging container in 46 degree cave for mold to develop while turning daily.
2/15/09 - Very slight mold fuzz starting to appear on the radius edges of the rounds. Temp over 5 day period pretty steady at 44 degrees.