Author Topic: Chilipepper's Cheese #016 - Camembert  (Read 7890 times)

chilipepper

Chilipepper's Cheese #016 - Camembert
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:52:46 PM »
2/10/09 - For this batch I tried using true store bought skim milk with the addition of 1 pint of heavy whipping cream. I also didn't use CaCl2 in the process as well.  At first I thought it would be kind of a disaster as the set was pretty weak but in the end it all seemed to work out (at least the molding). 

Warmed the milk to 86 degrees and added 1/2 tsp of MM100 and 1/16 tsp each of P.candidium and Geo.candidium.  Allowed to ripen for 110 minutes (why 110.. I don't know and I unfortunately didn't measure pH... I know what good am I).

Added 1/2 tsp of liquid veggie rennet and allowed to set for 60 minutes. 

Ladled curd without cutting directly into camembert molds.  A lot of whey accumulated on the bottom of the aging container and used a turkey baster to suck out excess whey as needed.

After about 2 hours I was able to flip with the assistance of another board on top.

Flipped again at 1 hour intervals 3 additional times before allowing to settle overnight.

Sprinkled salt on all surfaces and put in aging container in 46 degree cave for mold to develop while turning daily.

2/15/09 - Very slight mold fuzz starting to appear on the radius edges of the rounds.  Temp over 5 day period pretty steady at 44 degrees.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:05:09 PM by chilipepper »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Chilipepper's Cheese #016 - Camembert
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »
Those look nice.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:44:48 PM »
I gave you another cheese Chili as you only had 2. As far as Camembert I really want to make some but don't have a cave for it. My small dorm frig is not big enough to hold a humidifier, so I have to come up with something else.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »
46 deg?  really?  (never made camembert)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:50:30 PM »
The cold is not the hard part but again the humidity.

Tea

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 08:42:04 PM »
They looks reall great.  The St Maure is made the same way, in laddling straight from the pot without cutting.  It though is left to set for 12 hours, so I wonder if that would have helped in this case too.

Anyway, hope that these age properly.

chilipepper

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:25:22 PM »
Thanks, I too hope they decay properly! :)

Carter, my cave (aka root cellar) is only about 45-50% humidity so I cheat and use the plastic Tupperware boxes and keep each one sealed.  I think you'd have a major mold mess if you tried to mix Camemberts with your blue/Stiltons!!  With the plastic boxes it seems like the humidity just naturally settles at about 90-92% with the lid closed.  If you leave the lid cracked a little bit you can maintain about 75-85%.  What would really be a stretch for you is making a small cheese like that! :)  With your normal 15 gallon process you'd end up with something like 30 Camemberts!!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 11:02:04 PM »
When i figure out what I'm going to do cave wise I'll only be making 2-5 gallon batches.

Likesspace

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »
Chili....
First of all, I'll be watching this post closely so don't let us down. Updates are important when it comes to Camembert making!
So many of us are trying to perfect this cheese, so we want to see photos even if they do end up looking like something that could come bursting out of someone's chest cavity. :-)

Carter.....
Don't worry too much about the humidity with a Camembert.
As Chili posted, tupperware containers work really well for keeping the humidity up. I typically place my cheeses on sushi mats and then simply lay a tupperware container over the top of them. This allows some excess humidity to escape while still keeping the moisture content nice and high on the cheese.
I had planned on trying Cambozola this weekend but I don't think it's going to work out.
I'm am nearly out of room in my cave(s) and I want to play with another hard cheese, instead.
Your press has ruined me.
Now I only want to make cheeses that require the use of the press.
I'm sure this will subside over the next few months but right now I can hardly wait to get a cheese to the pressing stage. :-)

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 03:55:23 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Dave, and DUHHH I bought those 95% humidipak I can use I forgot about those.

chilipepper

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
Dave, I'll certainly keep you posted on the progress.  My other two are 6 weeks this weekend so they will be ready soon.  They are getting soft about an inch around the outer perimeter.  I'll post some update picts in that thread when I do open them.

Carter, there you go!  How big of an volume will those humidipak's stabilize at 95%?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
I'm not sure, but the small frig is only 1.3 cubic feet. Real small.

Likesspace

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 02:08:27 AM »
Chili...
Even though the cheese is feeling soft around the edges, I would suggest not opening it until the entire wheel feels quite, completely through. Of course this depends on the texture you are looking for.
If you want your camembert to have the slightly runny consistancy when at room temperature it really does take a good amount of time to get to that stage.
My last wheel was 8 weeks old and still not completely ripe.
Also, I think that Tea and I have both found that in the early stages of ripening the cheese will be liquid (almost like milk) at the edges but with further aging it will stiffen up and get to the proper consistancy.
Believe me, I'm not a know it all when it comes to this cheese. I'm just passing on a few tidbits of information that I've noticed in my own attempts.
Hope this helps.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 09:11:24 AM »
Dave and Tea, do you add some of the mold to the milk or do you just spray?

Tea

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »
Well I have done both.  My usual brie/cam recipe states to add some with the culture at the beginning, and then optional at the end you can spray on some.  The St Maure said to spray on at the end.  Personally I couldn't see any difference in the mould formation, and am wondering if it has to do with flavour?   I'm not sure.