Author Topic: Brandnetel's White Mold Cheese #5: Raw Goat's Milk Camembert  (Read 5610 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Re: Brandnetel's White Mold Cheese #5: Raw Goat's Milk Camembert
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 10:55:36 AM »
Yea you whey is a bit milky.
I would typically get 7 cheese from the 3.5 gallons you started with.
Mine end up about 1 1/2" thick when ready to come out of the mold.

OudeKaas

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:23 AM »
Catching up on updates . .  .. here are some pics from about 1 week in. Getting a good rind, but I damaged one portion and had to patch back together. Rind development was so quick and I could start to feel a little slipskin on the sides, so I turned the temp down to 45 degrees right after 7 days.

White mold growing fast and showing the imprint of the cheese mat mesh

You can still see some of the divots from the make where the exterior is irregular

Geo wrinkling in full effect on the sides

Here is the damaged rind section

Carefully replaced the damaged section. It seems to have healed over find with mold since then

OudeKaas

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 01:59:42 AM »
so, to bring us up to present time . . . this batch will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. They got themselves nice and fuzzy with a strong coating of white mold, which I tapped down several times to try and make a good dense rind. I can feel areas where the rind has separated from the paste on the sides in several places, but they are nice and dry on the exterior and I don't think the risk of significant slipskin is too high.

The aroma . . . . well, now. Over a base of musty brie-like "white cheese rind" aroma, there is something going on I certainly have never quite smelled before. Best description I can come up with is "brothy", but it definitely has an undertone of goatiness. Maybe if you made a stock from goat bouillon cubes, that sort of thing. I am hoping it goes in a good direction, but it is a little bit BO-like at the moment.

Also, ever since I used B. Linens in my sort of washed-rind batch experiment (see here), I think it has gotten itself established in my ripening boxes, despite washing. My previous Camembert has gone super-stinky as it has continued to age. So I am afraid that this will end up layering some of that on top of whatever else is happening. I really have no idea what to expect. Some parts are feeling pretty squishy right now, and the urge to cut one open is strong, but I think I am going to try to hold out another week if I can before doing so.

OudeKaas

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 12:55:53 AM »
Some more pics. These are from 3/2, when the cheeses were 2 weeks old (they are coming up on 4 weeks now).

bbracken677

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 12:39:16 PM »
Very nice looking cheeses!  Cant wait until we get the tasting report  ;D

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
How squishy do the muddles feel?  And on the earlier photos, were they my cheeses I would be calling the wrinkling "slipskin" instead of Geo wrinkling but I am not an expert.   :)

OudeKaas

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 11:22:13 PM »
OK, so we went ahead and opened one last week, at about 3.5 weeks in. It was very nice, creamy and runny around the edges with a ripe cam taste, surprisingly clean and then a restrained goat character at the end. Rind was also very mellow and the aroma that was noticeable in the ripening box was not present after airing out. Very happy with this, except that I think the surface has ripened too fast and left too much of a firm middle, while allowing for some slipskin-type situations at the edges. Pics!

So, this was like a week ago, and we have continued to consume the opened cheese over the following days. Paired really nicely with thin smoky slices of Speck, not as well with walnut (which I really liked with the cow Cam, but here it picks up too much on the earthiness of the cheese somehow and seems kinda funky). The remaining 2 in the 'cave' are beginning to exhibit faint ammonia smells so I want to get them eaten up soon. Looks like I will be pushing lots of cheese on friends and family over the next week or so!

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 10:27:18 AM »
They look delicious.
Goat milk good!!