Author Topic: Next make: Butterkase  (Read 2256 times)

bbracken677

Next make: Butterkase
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »
I have been researching butterkase, and I have put together a recipe that seems to be workable.

However....I have seen 2 different handlings of the curd.  One was to remove 1/3 of the whey and replace with hot water, maintaining a curd temp of 108F. The second was remove some of the whey and replace with 140F water. 

I have read in the traditional colby making process to replace the removed whey with water that was 60F or lower in order to produce a softer, moister cheese. This is exactly how a butterkase should be and it appears that the butterkase handling of the curds is in direct contrast with the colby style.

Wondering about using the colder water to make butterkase would produce a nice texture, soft and almost creamy.

Any thoughts?   

george

Re: Next make: Butterkase
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:34:44 PM »
bbracken, I have been lax in my posting duties - I forgot to reply back in another thread with the process I used for my butterkaese (actually Boofer's butterkaese LOL).  I will do that today - hopefully that will help you (I've seen different methods too, so I just ignore 'em).   :o

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
Thanks! I am really curious about the hot vs cold water whey replacement tho...perhaps after the butterkase my next project will be a colby just to give it a whirl lol

george

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »

max1

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »
The main goal of replacing whey with warm water is to slow down acid production.  The starter culture bacteria convert lactose into lactic acid.  This lactic acid is absorbed by the casein in the curd, which in turn leeches out colloidal calcium phosphate.  Put simply, this results in less elasticity or a crumblier texture.  When you remove whey and replace it with water, you're removing acid producing bacteria, but more importantly, you're removing lactose.  Consequently, there's less lactose for the starter bacteria to ferment, resulting in a higher drain pH and higher initial pH (later on, out of the press).  Thus the cheese will be more elastic, less crumbly.  Hot water is used because it helps to raise the temperature as well as slow acid production.  The water is added right after cutting and an initial stir.

When adding cold water, you do it at the end of scalding and cooking, right before draining.  The main goal is to make use of warm curd's ability to absorb water that's at a lower temperature.  The lower the temperature you dilute the whey to, the higher the final moisture content of the cheese will be.  At the same time, lactose moves in the opposite direction, resulting in less lactose in the curd.  So even though that won't have much affect on drain pH (most important for elastic texture) it will still slow down future acid production.

Susie

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 03:46:25 AM »
Fascinating and helpful info, Max1.