Author Topic: Places in the Edmonotn I have found for Cheesemaking Supplies  (Read 20575 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Places in the Edmonotn I have found for Cheesemaking Supplies
« on: February 10, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
I have been searching high and low for supplies in Alberta for various products these are some of the places I have found.

Barbs Kitchen - http://www.barbskitchen.com (9766-51 Avenue Edmonton) is a kitchen supply store and they as far as I can tell are the only place in Edmonton that sells Rennet. (liquid $18 ea)

http://www.earthsgeneralstore.ca/ Earths General Store, Sells Low heat pasteurized NON - Homogenized Whole Milk about $6.50/ 2L.  Active Culture Buttermilk, goats and sheep's milk.

If anyone knows where I can get a Dairy Thermometer locally or in Alberta let me know

dttorun

Re: Places in the Edmonotn I have found for Cheesemaking Supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:23 PM »
Have you tried Danlac? They are ingredient supplier but may also carry other supplies. They are in Calgary, Alberta.
Tan

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:34:02 PM »
I have used Danlac on several occasions, but I have found them to be a bit impersonal with it comes to answering questions for small scale issues.  Great service otherwise.  You can pay with paypal

I talked to the owner of Earths General Store and he said he is looking for a supplier for culture as I am not the only one who has asked him to bring it in.

I would just like to find sources close to home.

Quasar

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 05:30:45 PM »
I noticed in Alford's spring/summer 2013 catalogue pg76 that they have cheese making kits, cultures and molds
  www.HALFORDSMAILORDER.com  8629-126 ave Edmonton Ab.

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 11:22:36 PM »
I sell cheesemaking supplies worldwide and have lots of customers all over Canada. I ship plenty of packages to Edmonton on a regular basis.  I ship FedEx Ground from NYC which gets there in 4 days (less time than the postal service, same price and no Canadian customs, taxes or fees for you to ever deal with. I deal with it in advance here).

I have close to 100 types of moulds, and close to 100 types of cultures, rennet and other ingredients. I have instruments, tools, wrapping papers, draining mats etc. etc. etc.  Many of my customers are creameries and specialty retailers. In fact... pliezar (Ian) - we know each other well ...you are my customer too! (a good word here perhaps?)

Haven't had much time to visit the forum in the past couple of months (family thing, it's temporary), but send me a private message and I will give you my email address. I promise to reply quickly starting this week.

cheeseycarlo

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 04:08:20 PM »
Is this page dead?  I am a newbie at cheesemaking living outside of the Edmonton region but looking for supplies. Any new information on sources in and around the city?  Thanks

AnnDee

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 12:03:16 AM »
Maybe this thread is but not the page. Welcome to thr forum. :)

cheeseycarlo

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 04:12:47 AM »
Thanks Ann.

I was hoping to verify the suppliers listed and see if there are any new ones in the Edmonton region.

Made my first batch of just milk cheese and it turned out well.  Now next project will be mozza.  I have 3.5L  boiler insert that fits my pot and I have 4 bottles of 2oz animal rennet that I want to use up before they expire. (I got a good deal on them) 
Was looking for a mold and maybe a combo small press. I will check out the 3 suppliers mentioned above.  I live 2 hrs away from Edmonton, so don't want to waste my time going in there.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 01:48:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Most of us wind up having to order supplies on-line / via mail - for me, there used to be a small store in a nearby town that carried a *few* cheesemaking supplies, but only the most basic things; now even that store is gone. :(

Don't be surprised if the mozzarella turns out to be more difficult than expected - most of us here have not been very successful with it, even those with a lot of experience with making a variety of other cheeses.
-- Andy

JakesEmporium

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 03:29:29 PM »

Hi;
Have been gathering cheese supplies in and around Edmonton.
Barb's Kitchen Centre ( mentioned earlier in this thread)
The Italian Centre ( North side in Little Italy- 10878 95 street NW and south side near Calgary trail - 5028 104A Street NW and west end - 17010 90 Ave NW).
Peavey Mart - Locations in Camrose, Red Deer and several other locations.  They have a 'Homesteading' department which carries rennet, cheese salt, tartaric acid, ph meter and Molds. cultures for kefir, sour cream, yogurt, and Sourdough yeasts.
Many health foods stores such as Optimum Health and Organic Planet, carry cultures for sour cream, yogurt and kefir.
All the above stores carry citric acid.

I purchased at Fabricland, muslin and tea toweling for straining cheeses.  Closer weave than the 'cheesecloth' sold everywhere although the cheesecloth sold at The Italian Centre is pretty good.

If you live outside Edmonton, Peavey Mart is probably the first place to start. Good luck. 

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:35:56 PM by JakesEmporium »