Author Topic: Ick! What is this color in my Brie?  (Read 6123 times)

gjfarm

Re: Ick! What is this color in my Brie?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 07:08:53 PM »
I'm a relative newbie to cheesemaking, but I did go the the website for the Brie recipe you used.  As far as the color--no idea.  But for 4L milk shows a "few grains" of starter culture.    Depending on your interpretation of that, it could be very, very little.   Also the recipe has you aging in the refrigerator in a plastic bag.  I think that temperature of around 40 degrees may also be too cold.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »
I'm a relative newbie to cheesemaking, but I did go the the website for the Brie recipe you used.  As far as the color--no idea.  But for 4L milk shows a "few grains" of starter culture.    Depending on your interpretation of that, it could be very, very little.   Also the recipe has you aging in the refrigerator in a plastic bag.  I think that temperature of around 40 degrees may also be too cold.

That "few grains" of starter culture may have been meant to read "few grams" perhaps.  I think I did a cross check with other recipes to arrive at my amount.  They all developed a good bloom at the fridge temp.  Their final weeks of aging happened in that warmer fridge.  One of the batches got sprayed with the PC but all three bloomed well.  Good sleuthing on your part........any more thoughts?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 01:18:27 AM »
I was wondering what the cheese smells like...earthy....mushroomy...buttery? 
As to the color...no idea whatsoever.

Joseph says it smells buttery once the nose goes past the slight Camembert sharp smell.  The color is not  uniformly throughout the center.....but it's spreading I think.  Still a nice cheese but I think it'd help to wear dark glasses when eating it if at all freak-outable.