Author Topic: My New Washed Rind - Red Hound  (Read 6665 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: My New Washed Rind - Red Hound
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2021, 03:43:02 AM »
I have not tried Raffine. Though it differs slight from this one in process I would expect it to taste slightly tangier than mine. 'Red Hound' (though still missing the 'red' bit) was matured for longer than the Raffine's 28 days. I think this is evident in the photo on the web site. Have a look at the three main areas.
1. The rind is nice and thin as it only uses GC (which is the yeast - though some call it a mold).
2. The rind-paste interface has very defined layers
3. The internal paste. This is clearly only just started to soften and I would expect it to taste tangy cheesy.

The turning and washing will help the B.Linens (advise without evidence as I still have to achieve that bit) though I think the reason the three distinct layers in the photo is the extended aging at the beginning of 2 weeks before transferring to a cold environment
Once wrapped the cheese can be stacked in a closed container and moved to a cool space 45-50F for a final 2-3 weeks of aging.

I think this cheese will ammoniate quite rapidly and should be consumed pretty quickly.

I think you and I should make one in tandem from the recipe - photograph and record our efforts and share with the forum. 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2021, 05:46:34 PM »
I love that idea!  When would you like to make it?  I've only been making cheese for about 6 weeks.. so it will be quite interesting to see how
the same cheese differs in the hands of a novice and a sage.  ;-)
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2021, 06:19:20 AM »
Appreciate the title, though hardly sage. Being retired I can do this almost anytime but, it doesn't have to be at the same time :)  How about the next time you have scheduled cheese making time and I. We both agree to make the same cheese and the first to do start an entry in the forum - something like 'Raffine Challenge' share photos and comments.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2021, 11:47:27 AM »
You got it!  OK...  I make cheese one Sundays.  So, I will make the Raffine this Sunday (tomorrow).  The process for this cheese is a bit different and I am a little unsure about some aspects but I will give it a go!  This is great because I do need a faster aging cheese in the works.  :-)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2021, 09:48:29 AM »
Tomorrow for me is Monday and I'll need to gather my milk together. and my wife needs the kitchen - so I will start Tuesday.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2021, 12:10:46 PM »
Cool!  This should be fun!  Thank You!  I know, We Americans use too many !!!!   ;-)