Author Topic: First "edible" Cammebert!!  (Read 2829 times)

aka_tico

First "edible" Cammebert!!
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:11:40 AM »
not the "best" or "most delicious" nor the "best looking".
just "edible" and it taste good....!

bbracken677

Re: First "edible" Cammebert!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »
Congrats!
 I have 3 cams in the cave at the moment....they have a few more weeks before they will be ready but I am dying to try one out anyway lol

Here's a cheese for you!

OudeKaas

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »
Started a second batch of this style recently myself, so tracking your results with interest. Tell us more about the specifics of the taste and texture you ended up with. How about the shape - this one looks very tall for a cam?

aka_tico

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:39:11 PM »
that was my third attempt at Cam and since then I have made two more batches. as you noticed that one was too tall for a Cam so as a result it had sort of dry and crumbly center with soft exterior. it looked and tasted more like a Chaource then a Cam. my last two batches have turned out OK but I'm still working on the technique. this is the picture of the last one at 5th week. it has matured well. there are notes of fresh butter with subtle hints of earthy mushroom. it is soft and creamy with some hints of spiciness reminiscent of cracked black pepper. there is a moderately low bitterness that lingers in the after taste which concerns me.

OudeKaas

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:12:54 PM »
Looks very nice!

How was the consistency of the paste? From the pic it appears good and moist, but not runny. I have had a lot of difficulty getting the paste in these to soften significantly, so I am curious.

Really enjoyed your tasting notes too - you are making me hungry for cheese! In my own first batches of these, I did some all-cow and some about 1/3 goat. The part-goat cheeses definitely had a pronounced bitter edge which was peppery and I think too strong. Don't know if that's necessarily relevant here, but your mention of a similar flavor element reminded me of this . . . .

aka_tico

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »
@Brandnetel for me the size and the temperature where the two factors that made the difference in regard to the texture. too short  and it would mature in no time with gooey result and too tall would make it over ripen on exterior with crumbly center. as for the temperature,  i keep them in my beer fridge at 13-15c but if i leave them outside for a day or two just about the right time they turn to delicious cream!!