Author Topic: Question about cheese cave temp  (Read 2970 times)

bbracken677

Question about cheese cave temp
« on: August 05, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »
I have managed to adjust my mini-fridge cheese cave to reach temps up to 48F. Is this close enough for camembert/brie aging?
I have read the optimum temp for camembert or brie to be 52-55F.

bbracken677

Re: Question about cheese cave temp
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
While I am at it...I am thinking that if I move the temp probe into the freezer (it is currently attached to the bottom of the freezer unit via a plastic holder that insulates the probe from direct contact with the freezer) I should be able to achieve warmer temps. Does that seem likely?

Jaspar

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »
I moved the probe to under the freezer, and put a piece of Styrofoam under it to hold it against the freezer bottom then adjust it from there. I can get temps from 50 to 65 f.

mjr522

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 05:08:13 AM »
If you can identify the type of sensor, you might be able to trick the unit into thinking it's actually at a different temperature.  Can you tell what it is?

BobE102330

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »
bbracken677 - according to the Wiki recipe 52-55 is where you want to be to get the initial bloom.  Your current temperature is just a bit high for ripening. 

Before I got my warm cave running I used the 45 degree fridge for the Camembert entire ripening process.  The initial bloom takes about a week longer, but otherwise it worked out just fine. 

So many other cheeses like to age in the 50-55 degree range, I have two mini-fridge caves.  We'll see if I get to keep two when my soon to be fiance moves in.  ;)

BobE102330

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 01:25:47 PM »
bbracken677 - according to the Wiki recipe 52-55 is where you want to be to get the initial bloom.  Your current temperature is just a bit high for ripening. 

Before I got my warm cave running I used the 45 degree fridge for the Camembert entire ripening process.  The initial bloom takes about a week longer, but otherwise it worked out just fine. 

So many other cheeses like to age in the 50-55 degree range, I have two mini-fridge caves.  We'll see if I get to keep two when my soon to be fiance moves in.  ;)

Both of my mini fridges use a mechanical thermostat driven by a bulb/capillary sensor.  It seems to be the standard.  Some of the mechanical assemblies can be adjusted to cover a higher range than others. 

bbracken677

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
Thanks!  I found a calibration screw and adjusted it so highest temp would be 50F or so....that solves that problem, but when I will need it up around 65F I will have to find another solution.

BobE102330

bbracken677

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »
Thanks!!!

I am going to snatch one of those up!  That would solve the only cave issue (other than capacity) that I have   : )