Author Topic: Thawing mozzarella curd?  (Read 3571 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Thawing mozzarella curd?
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »
So I made a two pound batch of traditional mozza curd, and stretched half of it into a nice cheese. The other half I put into the freezer rather than putting into hot water for stretching, as I read that this could be done.
When I am ready to use this, do I defrost in the frig, or on the counter.  Do I heat up water the same as for the first batch and then proceed?
Susan

Tomer1

Re: Thawing mozzarella curd?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:23:24 PM »
This is a great idea to save time and produce large batchs.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
I freeze my mozzarella after I have stretched it.  Never heard of doing it pre-stretch...

Susie

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:38:02 AM »
I have read about that before and made a mental note to try it next time I make mozzarella. I know I read to thaw in the fridge and then heat water to stretch as you did the first time around. Post back here after you try it. I'm curious to know how it goes.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:24:51 AM »
I made traditional mozzarella two times now, using 2 gallons of milk, making 2 # of curd. Both times I have used 1# at the moment, and have frozen the other pound of curd. I am still trying to get the outcome to be softer like I want for caprese salad, rather than semi-firm for pizza.  It seems my process needs more practice. However, I am happy to report that freezing the curd just before stretching works just fine. My sample size is 2, but in both cases, I would say the curd stretched out very nicely. We ate some tonight on pesto pizza and it was lovely!
Susan

Alison

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
I also freeze my mozz pre-stretch (meal sized portions), but I use the microwave to defrost and heat it to the point where it stretches (I couldn't be bothered to fiddle with a pot and drip all over the stove..). The whey that comes out during defrosting is usually enough to keep the mozz wet. Only sometimes I heat too long and end up with an ultra liquid gloop.... which can be saved with a long stir but tastes a little "cooked".

regards
Alison