Author Topic: My 7th Butterkase  (Read 16840 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My 7th Butterkase
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 05:50:57 AM »
We're on the same wavelength, Jeff. 8)

Some for now...and some for later.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

sofusryge

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 05:58:25 AM »
I'm very impressed with the look of the rind on that cheese - looks very "pro". Have to award you a cheese on that!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »
Jeff, did you do a thread on your washed rind Tomme that you mention in your post about your cheese line up? 

JeffHamm

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 05:42:02 PM »
Thanks sofusryge!  I checked it again, and the greyish patch is actually where the moisture washed away the rind, which is a shame because it had a nice even look to it before I had to leave.  Still, I hope to get that to work again.

And Tiarelle there should be a thread on my washed rind tomme.  It would be called "my 2nd tomme" or something equally inspiring.  I also did my first tomme as a washed rind, and those curds didn't drain as well and it was a very soft paste, to the point it was sagging under its own weight.  That said, it was a fabulous result and I'm hoping this 2nd make is as good.  They aren't listed under the washed rind thread, but rather under this washed curd section (where most tomme threads are found).

- Jeff

P.S.
Here's the first one : http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9949.0.html
and
Here's the 2nd one: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10207.0.html
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:10:25 PM by JeffHamm »

sofusryge

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »
I'm going to make a Butterkase following your recipe this Saturday. I don't fully understand you algorithm for brining time though:

"Brine at 1 hour per lb per inch height"

Could you clarify this for me with an example?

JeffHamm

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »
Hi sofusryge,

Sure.  Make a saturated brine (dissolve as much salt as the water will hold).  Now, let's say you have a 2 lbs cheese that stands 4 inches in height.  You brine that for 8 hours (2 x 4 = 8).

- Jeff
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:20:31 AM by JeffHamm »

sofusryge

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
Ahh, that simple. Thanks a lot  :) It'll be my first washed curd cheese, quite exiting how that turns out. I'll post the resultat in a new thread next week.

/Sofus

JeffHamm

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2013, 12:24:59 AM »
Not complicated, but if you use less than a saturated brine then you have to increase the time.  You can find an excel work book I put together that you can use to re-calculate brine times if you change your saturation (among other cheese related things) here: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,8828.0.html

- Jeff

sofusryge

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 06:20:42 AM »
That's cool, i'll look in to it asap.

Thanks!

/Sofus

JeffHamm

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »
Just the last update on this one.  Had the last bit of it the other day.  It remained very smooth and creamy textured right until the end.  Developed a really good flavour that would be ideal for those who aren't partial to sharp or strong cheeses.  It had a definite, and full, taste mind you, just one that was easy and pleasant.  Nice.

- Jeff 

bbracken677

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »
Great job Jeff!  I am going to have to give butterkase another shot...main thing I need now is the time to make some cheeses.  :(