Author Topic: Meet Baldric Der Butterkase, my 1st "Real" Cheese :)  (Read 2843 times)

JustPeachy

Meet Baldric Der Butterkase, my 1st "Real" Cheese :)
« on: August 26, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »
He came out all wrinkled-y like a little old man, but I'm still proud of him.  ;D

This is my first pressed cheese sans press (it's on the list). I've done yogurt and cream and mozzarella but yesterday was the day. I'm glad I had 2 molds with followers to choose from. I had no idea of the volume my milk was going to make or really what to expect! It was an adventure, for sure.

Special thanks to JeffHamm for his help and all of his technical posts, which were a great inspiration for my first pressed cheese. I was seriously considering a gouda but every time I go to see the in-laws in Austria I always devour the butterkase so it was a natural choice for me!

I honestly winged the recipe and combined the 200 Easy Homemade Cheese, Mary's Crazy butterkase and JeffHamm's notes. I'm craptastic at notes and one of those cooks that goes by instinct. A dash of this, a little of that, stir for awhile, blah blah. But I do appreciate those folks that take concise notes, I'm just not really one of them.

We'll see how this baby turns out once he gains some maturity. Without further ado....

Baldric Der Butterkase fresh out of his brine bath

JeffHamm

Re: Meet Baldric Der Butterkase, my 1st "Real" Cheese :)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »
A cheese to you on your first pressed cheese.  I've made butterkase with that sort of disk profile and it turns out fine.  The wrinkles will fade a wee bit, but as you age and gain experience the wrinkles will vanish (oh, if only it were like that for all wrinkles! :) )  Nicely done.

- Jeff

JustPeachy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 12:35:47 AM »
Thanks Jeff, you're a sweetheart and your mentorship is much appreciated. Baldric went into the cave today. I vacuum sealed it this afternoon instead of waxing since I already use the sealer for bulk meat.

Hubby bought me a Danby Mini Fridge to use as a cave and he tweaked the thermostat so it reaches 54F for me. We got it a few weeks ago and I've been chompin at the bit to make something to put in there, but I had to wait for the stoopid tweaking!  ::)

I also have a few leads on raw milk here too. We have Craigslist and I posted a "Home Cheesemaker Wants Raw Milk" ad and got 2 replies. One of them looks really promising and I was going to check it out tomorrow when a friend from the gym asked me this morning how much milk I wanted. She said she can get some for me so we'll see. I'm excited about it. I've never tasted raw milk that I know of an can only imagine what it might be like.

I ordered 2 - 10L stainless steel milk containers tonight for transporting my raw milk from the diary. Now, I'm running over how many things I can make from a few gallons of raw milk!

Cheers!

JustPeachy

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 02:41:21 AM »
I just had a French Smoked Rambol and you have to try this one! It's like a Butterkase x 10! Am looking for a recipe. 

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:47:55 AM »
Do let us know if you find one! I will look as well....

JustPeachy

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:31:31 AM »
After much life happenings, I finally got around to pulling Baldric out of the cave. I know you shouldn't leave a butterkase aging for 7mos but I figured it wouldn't hurt anything and we were pleasantly surprised for my first cheese. It was a little salty to me so I plan to tweak that and the flavor really reminded me of a havarti actually, but it was ultra creamy! I'm just really tickled with the cute little pockets like a real butterkase!  :D

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »
A cheese to you for the perhaps unintentional aging of this cheese.  It certainly looks to be a winner.  Nicely done.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »
Baldric seems to have matured into a fine specimen of a cheese. ;)

Good job, Peachy.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.