Author Topic: Regarding Thermo and Meso in the same make  (Read 2108 times)

bbracken677

Regarding Thermo and Meso in the same make
« on: August 26, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
Seems logical that if you were going to use a thermo along with meso in the same cheese make that upon raising the temp to 108F you would then add the thermo and then allow to cool to, say, 88F at which time you would add your meso cultures...

Does that seem logical? The recipes I have seen, so far, that call for using both generally focus on raising to 108 and then adding all cultures and allowing the temp to cool to 88 or 86F.

Asking the question cause I am preparing for my next make which will probably be a cheddar and am considering the addition of a thermo to the mix.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Re: Regarding Thermo and Meso in the same make
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:42:55 PM »
From my understanding mesos and thermos are usually added at the same time.  The mesos do their thing during the make process while the milk/curd temp is in the 30's.  As the curd/milk is heated to higher temps (40's and 50's) during the make process then the mesos are gradually killed and the thermos take over and do their thing.  The final characteristics of the cheese will depend on how long the temperatures favoured the growth of mesos relative to how long the temperatures favour the growth of the thermos.  Don't forget that even if you have killed all of the mesos during a high cook temp their 'remains' are still present so enzymes etc that were inside them will be released over time and affect the character of the cheese.

I am not aware of a cheese that is made at thermo temps then cooled for the addition of a meso - but there is always a first for everything I guess!  I will be interested to hear what others have to say...

NVD

Susie

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:08:16 AM »
I've been focusing on this one http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9225.0.html
It uses both, but you add the meso and let it sit for a while, then take the temp up for the thermo.

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »
Thanks! I will incorporate that recipe into my final version. Your cheese looked awesome : )

I think I will make a colby next, then possibly follow that up with a cheddar. I also have stilton, caerphilly and tallegio on my make list and of course, at some point I will be "harvesting" cheeses currently in affinage and may desire to remake some of those as well!