Author Topic: Second Stilton approximation  (Read 1695 times)

BobE102330

Second Stilton approximation
« on: October 13, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »
Another Stilton type using Pav's recipe.  I cooked it last weekend, with my best recipe time and temperature compliance to date. Floc right at 15 minutes, temperatures were 85-86 the whole time post culture until drain. I used just 2.75 gallons of cream line milk and about 20 ounces of cream - all I could fit in my 12 quart pot and have room to stir.  I forgot to turn the heat on in the house and the temperature got a bit cool during the overnight draining and initial molding.  I figure that is why I didn't get the best knit.  It is a little looser than last time, but I still got a nice creamy paste, so here's hoping.  At least I know I will get nice blue inside with all the mechanical spaces.  It's made in a large Tomme mold I bout from Yoav, and came out 7.25" diameter and 3" high.  Weight going into the mold was 4 pounds, now at 3 pounds 9 ounces.  My much smaller cheeses were great in 45 days, but I think I will need to give this one a bit longer. 

Day 6, just showing a bit of blue - 66-72 in the house, not like the summer make where I was struggling to keep it under 75 degrees.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Second Stilton approximation
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 04:25:59 AM »
So I guess the corkscrew is for piercing holes? ??? Interesting concept. :o

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

BobE102330

Re: Second Stilton approximation
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »
Cute ;)