Author Topic: First Cambazola from a different Bob  (Read 3496 times)

BobE102330

First Cambazola from a different Bob
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »
Just started a Cambazola, I'm glad I read Bob's thread. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,8831.msg72820/topicseen.html  I will make my curds a bit firmer than usual as he did.  The blue killing dip sounds like a good way to get the exterior to be PC/Geo.

Using 1/4 tsp of Flora Danica in 2 gallons of milk, 4:1 PC:Geo (New England Cheesemaking strains) and the same blue mold I used for my Stilton approximation (culled from a commercial cheese I like, emulsified in some water before adding to the milk with the cultures. 

Here's where I am so far (cultures and molds added ready to stir in) :

mjr522

Re: First Cambazola from a different Bob
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:14:57 PM »
Very exciting--I mentioned that I just tried one of these for the first time this weekend, and I am a fan.  I look forward to seeing how this works out.

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:07:24 AM »
A cambazola is like a blue camembert?

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:12:53 AM »
Exactly - here is a picture from the Bob's thread (link in first post)

boothrf

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 01:15:14 AM »
Hey BobE, good luck with your Cambazola, hope it turns out well.  :D hope my comments come in handy. Make sure you keep us posted with photos and comments.

BobE102330

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 01:34:18 AM »
Absolutely. Bob.  I appreciate your lessons.  Hopefully I will have a good outcome, I'm no Camembert expert yet.  A cheese to you.

boothrf

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:43:44 AM »
Thanks BobE, appreciate it. Enjoy the experience  :)

BobE102330

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 03:54:23 PM »
Interesting - I mixed PC and Geo in the milk along with a blue slurry.  Expecting to have to use Bob's hot water dip and spray method, I found that the PC and Geo are totally dominant on the exterior, no washing required.  Here they are after multiple skewerings hoping to get some internal blue development. 

bbracken677

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »
Interesting!  Most of the pics I have seen of cambozolas didnt show any blue on the outside. If my cams turn out well, I may try a cambozola make in the future.

hoeklijn

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »
If my cams turn out well, I may try a cambozola make in the future.

I can recommend them! It's a delicious tasting cheese. IMHO the best way to prevent blue on the outside is not to add the PR to the milk, but to fill the moulds to the half with the curd and then to sprinkle the PR-dust over the curd, making sure not to sprinkle at the outside. Then fill the moulds with the rest of the curds. This way you're almost sure not to have blue at the outside, especially when you wait with piercing until the Geo and/or PC developed well at the rind.

bbracken677

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »
It is a very interesting and appealing (to me) cheese. Kind of like the best of all worlds. Creamy, bluey cheesey goodness!

BobE102330

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 09:04:10 PM »
It's long since gone, but this make turned out to be just a nice Camembert.  I'll try again and not add PC to the milk, but spray it on after the blue has formed and the wheels get pierced.  Another learning experience.

boothrf

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »
The trickiest aspect of these cheeses is getting the blue to grow inside what is normally, a very soft cheese. Maintaining some oxygen spaces inside the cheese to allow the blue to grow, without the cheese collapsing around the holes can be difficult. Herman's option of adding the PR into the center of the cheese during the make, which seems to be used by a number of people on the forum, will help, but you still need to get the piercing right and keep the piercing holes open. I found the drier curd helped a lot, but obviously too dry and its hard to get the soft gooey interior.

Keep experimenting, take lots of notes to help with fault finding, and you will get the balance right.  Good luck  :)