Author Topic: Gooey and Sinful...Second Edition  (Read 8443 times)

george

Re: Gooey and Sinful...Second Edition
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
Oh, Boofer, that looks PERFECT!  My first morning drool ...  >:D

iratherfly

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 05:00:45 AM »
Hey Boofer, I never suggested Formaticum for this. I suggested Expeco which is a night and day difference. Expeco is designed for washed rind cheeses. Formaticum is good for a cheese monger who just needs to wrap a slice of cheese for a customer; too suffocating for aging.

Where did you get this recipe? It's a bit off (why are you using PC with washed rind? The only case I know for this is maybe Pont-l'Évêque).  I have done a fair bit of research (and I have the official Reblochon manual here.... don't ask me how I got it) and this style has become one of my favorites to make. Reblochon never goes as low as 4.80pH. It is hooped at 6.45 and salted the next morning when it reaches 5.5pH (5.3 is the lowest case scenario). The aging of it is fascinating:
It starts off by spending time in a "yeast room": This just means 3-4 initials days at 98% RH in 62°F. This accelerates the mocasse development (AKA geo slime). It then receives its first wash with coarse salt rubbing and 5%-6% brine and moved to the cave at 54°F.  You only wash and turn it in the cave for 2 weeks! Then, you wrap it and put in the fridge for a month or two.  This is how you get the perfect gooey, milky, mild, extremely supple paste.  Also, you mentioned that you are not a fan of the crazy orange rind. Reblochon is indeed no Meunster or Limburger, it has very pale orange coverage with a velvety layer of geo growing all over it (mixed  rind). If you want to try my way next time - let me know.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »
Hi Yoav! Okay, I stand corrected...on ALL counts!  ::)

I don't actually recall your recommendation with regards to Formaticum paper. My recollection was that you were really impressed with its qualities. I don't think there was a distinction made whether to use it for long-term aging or in a monger's shop. Now I am updated.

I believe my recipe for this cheese was something I hammered out of SueVT's and others' recipes. This is only the second time I have tried to make Reblochon. I enjoyed my first effort, even though it apparently wasn't true to the Reblochon standard. If you have the Reblochon gospel at your fingertips, I would be willing to be an apt student. I'm sure others out there would also be willing to absorb the knowledge to craft a faithful Reblochon. Quite often recipes and techniques don't match how the cheese is really supposed to be made. A lot of the time that seems to be because the books we use are not accurate or the information is just not available. So, by all means, share the wealth (of information).

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 06:06:49 AM »
This melts really quickly and easily. On a cracker it makes a tasty little treat.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

iratherfly

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 07:19:54 AM »
Mmmm... looks delicious! Try making a Tartiflette au Reblochon from this! (though it will require melting down a wheel, so you should have enough!)

I will copy my technical notes here tomorrow. (or, should I start a new thread?)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »
I will copy my technical notes here tomorrow. (or, should I start a new thread?)
I think a new thread would be good. No doubt you will have a lot of response.

Thanks, Yoav.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

iratherfly

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 06:52:52 AM »
Okay, took more than a day but maybe it's worth it, I just posted a super long Reblochon AOC recipe with notes and other stuff in a new thread:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9928.0.html

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »
Went over to have lunch with The Old Man the other day. I took along a half wheel of my Reblochon #2, not knowing if he'd like it or not.

What a surprise! He ended up eating most of that cheese! He marveled over it and made numerous comments about how much he really enjoyed that cheese. Boy, that's trouble. That just motivates me to make more.  ;) Oh wait, Reb #3 just got wrapped up a couple days ago and Reb #4 is still in its first week. I think my stock of Reblochon should be in good shape.  ;D

He might not like Reb #4 though. I expect it to be more gooey. He liked the semi-hard texture of Reb #2. He ate the rind too!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
The only thing better than sitting down and enjoying the fruits of your labour is having someone else there to watch you share it with, yah, that's it! :)

I suspect, as you work through Reb's 2 and 3, by the time 4 is ready to open, your Dad will have developed an appreciation for this cheese and will quite like the softer one as well. 

- Jeff

Shazah

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 04:04:24 AM »
Hey Boofer you have soooo inspired me to make this.

I have had my drill out today and made myself a couple of molds that I think will do the job quite well, for my first try anyway.  I found what I thought looked like the perfect sized, food grade containers which measure 6 inches across, but looking at your beautiful example, I'm wondering is it going to be too small?

I've seen your pics which include your molds but I wondered if you would mind telling me the dimensions so I'll know whether I'm within an acceptable size range.

Thanks
Sharon
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:17:23 AM by Shazah »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 05:39:46 AM »
Hey Boofer you have soooo inspired me to make this.

I have had my drill out today and made myself a couple of molds that I think will do the job quite well, for my first try anyway.  I found what I thought looked like the perfect sized, food grade containers which measure 6 inches across, but looking at your beautiful example, I'm wondering is it going to be too small?

I've seen your pics which include your molds but I wondered if you would mind telling me the dimensions so I'll know whether I'm within an acceptable size range.

Thanks
Sharon
Hi Sharon. 6 inches across is fine. Mine are from Glengarry and measure 135mm/5.3in x 65mm/2.6in.

You just have to make sure that the amount of curds you end up putting in them doesn't make them too thin like pancakes nor too fat like minicakes. The idea here is that the rind covering ripens the paste from the outside towards the center. My first Reblochon effort was a little slow to ripen because it was thicker than it should have been. Notice the semi-hard core at the center of the first pic. At the time, I used the only small moulds I had (small Kadovas). The cheeses still turned out heavenly.

The edition I shared with my Dad a couple days ago was firmer. I'm not sure he would have really cared for the version in the attached pictures, but I have some of what I hope will match the pics in progress right now. I will go ahead and see how he likes them...if they turn out as I expect.

The last pic is a prime example of a Reblochon.

Good luck.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Shazah

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Thanks Boofer.  I will take on board your comments about how much curd to put in each mold.

I'll post pics when I have something to show.

iratherfly

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »
Each mould holds the curd yielded from about 3-4 liters of milk.