Author Topic: Skipped #7 but here is #8  (Read 2907 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Skipped #7 but here is #8
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:58:50 AM »
I skipped #7 fearing it would be the same as the other but no . . . IT WORKED ! and probaby the nicest cheese I have made.  There are a couple of little tweaks that make the cheese.  The main one is the timing of when to move the cheese into the cooler fridge and the other is the thickness of the cheese as it comes out of the molds.  The first was at just when the PC had covered the cheese and even before the covering goes fully white.  My schedule was 5 days to first mould, turn over 4 days later clean the riping containers and put the cheese back into them and move them to the fridge (STD 4 Deg C) for 5 weeks.  Whilst in the fridge turn them every other day wipe out excess moisture.  The other was the un-molding height.  Nominally 8 litres (2 Gallons) will produce enough curds for 4 Camemberts but the addition of 300 mls(1/2 Pint, I think) of pure cream at the start has helped the Store bought milk 3.6% to something a little more favourable - I'm not sure how much - but it was enough to divide amongst 6 100mm Camembert molds with the resulting height after settling more conducive to even ripening.   The end result a gooey outer with a small firmish centre with a beautiful smooth mushroomy smell and a wonderful full, slightly sharp finish.  I left the cheese in the common kitchen at work with a sign "Homemade Camembert - Please enjoy".  15 minutes later not only was it gone but, someone had literally scrapped the plate clean.  8).

Perseverance has it's own rewards.

Today is number #8 - Make details to follow.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
Re: Skipped #7 but here is #8
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:32:55 AM »
We had a #7 for lunch and had to share - so so sorry this isn't a taste enabled forum because this is the best Camembert I've ever tasted.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

boothrf

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:38:07 AM »
Congratulations Mal!  :D :D Your perseverance really paid off, and your mods to refrigeration and cheese height really worked well.  A cheese to you for persistence and a great result.

Today I'm attempting my first Caerphilly, currently draining and acidifying. I'll post make notes and pictures when I have time.

Bob

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 04:25:13 AM »
Thanks Rob.  A Caerphilly is a wonderful cheese.  A cheese in return for a new cheese.  I have a few Caerphilly under my belt - literally :) So if you need a hand just holla !

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 04:38:19 AM »
I knew you would crack it pretty soon!  That's a fantastic looking cam.  A cheese to you for getting it done. 

- Jeff

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 05:00:15 AM »
1st September 2012
Camembert
I'm still using Tim Smith's basic recipe for 8 litres of Milk but adding 300ml of cream and 1/4 tsp Calcium Chloride.
8 litres of 3.8 Milk
300ml Pure Cream
Flora Danica – A good full dose of GLA FL.D (this is a Sacco culture)
1/8 tsp P.C – well maybe not that much as that so a 1/32 of PC and half a 1/64 of the G.C
¼ and 1/8th tsp of  Mad Millies Rennet (240 IMCU) as last time to get the flocculation time to 14 minutes.
10:36 Heat the milk over 40 minutes to 32 Deg C.

11:10  Initial ripening stage pre-activate the Flora Danica 10 minutes before hand and add to the rest at 32oC.
11:10 Add the P.C and a small mini smidge of G.C
11:20 Add the P.C and G.C and stir together.  Keep the temperature at 32oC.
Ripening for 90 minutes.
(12:50)@90 minutes add CaCl2 and mix gently.
This time there will be the use of vibrating the curds in the moulds to reduce the pockets of whey and the extended draining time suggested here in the Forum.  No brine or Salt additions apart from the direct salting of the outside.

12:55 Add Rennet.  Last time using the current rennet batch was about 20 minutes so I have added an additional 1/8 tsp in an attempt to reduce it to somewhere about 14 minutes.
Flocculation time13:00 minutes flocculation time 5.5 Multiplier giving 71 minutes.  This time is from the time you add the rennet not from the flocculation time. 14:06
Watch for the Flocculation point and multiply it by 5.5 – 6.  Test at 5.5 and determine whether the break to good enough.  It should be clean and not mushy.

14:06 Cut curds to ½ inch and maintaining 32oC stir for 15 minutes.  And then let settle for 15 minutes.  Although the recipe normally uses 4 moulds the addition of cream will provide enough curds for 6.  I have found that stuffing 4 moulds (100mm) wastes quite a bit and the final shapes tend to be too thick to ripen properly.
Set up the moulds and the cheese mats and boards getting ready to fill and eventually flip.

boothrf

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 05:31:00 AM »
Thanks Mal. I have the Caerphilly in the press now, looking good so far.  hope I can get enough pressure to get a good knit. I'm posting the make on the Carephilly page.

Looking forward to seeing the progress of these latest cams!