Author Topic: Caerphilly Cheese Making - Receipes & Aging Discussion  (Read 6950 times)

green bean

Caerphilly Cheese Making - Receipes & Aging Discussion
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:10:02 PM »
Hi,
I tasted my first Caerphilly made from goats' milk recently and it was AMAZING!  I want to learn how to make it.  I am new to this and have only made paneer, chevre, fromage blanc, and fresh mozzarella successfully so far.  All with milk from my goats.  Should I take a class for this one or could I figure it out on my own?

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Caerphilly Cheese Making - Receipes & Aging Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
Peter Dixon has a nice caerphilly recipe on his website here

Oberhasli

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »
I use Margaret Morris' recipe and it isn't hard.  It isn't as involved as making cheddar.  I have a couple of wheels of Caerphilly aging in the basement.  You will need a hoop and a press for this one.

Bonnie

9mmruger

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »
I made one in 08 that was fantastic.  I have one made in July 2010 aging in the cave now.  Anxiously waiting.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:38:20 PM »
I say strike out on your own and try one of the recipes mentioned. What could go wrong?

Also, your avatar (picture) is broken. You may have to upload it again.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

countrygirl

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 01:26:47 AM »
Hi,
The first chees I made was a Caerphilly (last weekend). I got the recipe from the website called The Greening of Gavin, which is near me in Malton, Australia. Gavin has a video which show how he makes it. It is ready in three weeks from making.I found it easy to follow

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 03:10:21 PM »
Hi,
The first chees I made was a Caerphilly (last weekend). I got the recipe from the website called The Greening of Gavin, which is near me in Malton, Australia. Gavin has a video which show how he makes it. It is ready in three weeks from making.I found it easy to follow
Interesting website. Thanks.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
I do not agree with Caerphilly being ready in 3 weeks. That is probably a tyoe and should be 3 months.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »
I hate typos but I am probably the worst at typing and editing. Even when I re-read things my brain sees what I am thinking not what I typed.

kimlasavio

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 03:07:42 AM »
Nope, it really is three weeks.  Actually, most of the recipes say two weeks.  I really like Green Galvin's video, very helpful.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 04:30:01 AM »
Nope, it really is three weeks.  Actually, most of the recipes say two weeks.  I really like Green Galvin's video, very helpful.
Peter Dixon's recipe calls for 4 months. Seems like two weeks might apply to soft, fresh cheeses but nowhere near what harder cheeses would require. I'm sure more experienced opinions such as Sailor's would prevail. You may wish to gain a consensus rather than rely solely upon Mr. Galvin's.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 10:31:10 PM »
I do Caerphillys on a regular basis. There is no way I would cut one before 90 days and it is MUCH more mature at 120. In the USA, the legal standard for any hard cheese is a minimum of 60 days.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 03:46:12 AM »
Well, not knowing any better I've opened several Caerphillies that were under a month old and enjoyed them all.  Would they age into more complex flavors?  Probably"...but I've read a bunch of places that people eat them at 3 weeks.  Mine were dryish and pleasingly salty.  not sure what it's supposed to be like but I liked these.

JeffHamm

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 06:32:19 AM »
Hi Tiarella,

Caerphilly reached a high level of popularity in the late 1800s and early 1900s and farmers in New Zealand were making it to sell in the UK.  It was a very popular product because of the quick turn around.  Traditionally it would be sent to market after 2 weeks or so.  However, it does age well, although my personal take is that caerphilly is one of the best "quick" hard cheeses, and there are others that I prefer if I'm going to age one out longer.  I've found some old records on caerphilly (which I posted here quite some time ago), and I keep meaning to try and turn that into a home make procedure for a small batch.  As I recall, it doesn't include cheddaring (as the Tim Smith version does, which I tend to make myself), so may be closer to the 200 home recipe version that Dave tends to favour (I've made it once and it's good).  Sailor would have his own procedure, and it sounds like it is more suited to longer aging. 

If you've enjoyed yours young, then you could age one out to see how it goes for you, and that way you could find what you like best.

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »
Hi Jeff,  I have made it both with the cheddaring and with just brining.  I think I've had better luck with the cheddaring one as far as staying on top of mold management but I haven't tracked it enough to be sure. I'm also just too busy to be good at managing it all.  If my wine fridge were in the kitchen I'd likely be better at this.   :(
  Maybe I should experiment with spicy coatings that deter molds from the cheeses I don't want them on.