Author Topic: Aussie Bob's Caerphilly #1  (Read 9943 times)

boothrf

Re: Aussie Bob's Caerphilly #1
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Yes, it's looking and smelling really good at the moment. Very clean rind at present, so no need to brine wash yet. I turn it (and fondle it) every day ;) It's very addictive!

I might try an Manchengo some time, but want to make more Caerphilly's first and also like the look of your recent Staffordshire.

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 06:14:56 AM »
Hi Bob,

Just a heads up, if you have a go at the Staffordshire, cook and stir the curds longer than I did.  I think mine needed more time to work in the whey and, like a tomme, the moisture loss should be mostly done in the pot and not much is needed to be done in the press.  Well, this is my current working hypothesis and my next experiment with Staffordshire will put that to the test.  However, I think a Lancashire is the next make in my forseeable future.  Haven't made one of those for a while and my last one was something I would like to repeat.

- Jeff

boothrf

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:50 PM »
Caerphilly update:

The cheese started to collect some wild moulds this week, including some blue! I gave it a clean by washing in some brine and vinegar solution, dried it out and back in the cave. Still smells fantastic and the rind is nice and clean again. Nearly 2 weeks old, another 2 to go!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 01:31:02 AM »
Just for a bit of a different rind development I like to use a nice Apple Cider Vinegar.  It also adds a nice tang to the rind without getting into the cheese.  Otherwise it is all looking good so far.

--Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

boothrf

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 06:13:32 AM »
Getting quite a lot of moulds on this cheese. 2 weeks old now and the aroma has changed from sweet, fresh curd to a more mature aged aroma. The photo shows it after a good brine wash, which has removed the blue mould but the red/brown mould remains. I'm a bit worried that this mould is not helping my cheese, particularly as the aroma has changed so much. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:18:35 AM by Bob »

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
Hi Bob,

Let the rind dry out, and from now on, just brush any mold with a clean nail brush to keep it in check.  These molds are just on the surface, so the inner paste is fine.  If you over salt, etc, though, you may throw off the salt balance.  I rarely salt or vinegar wash my rinds any more.  I just trim them off when it's time to eat the cheese.

- Jeff

boothrf

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 10:11:33 PM »
OK thanks for the advice Jeff. I think my aging container is keeping the humidity a bit too high as I noticed the cheeses was sweating just slightly and this was probably contributing to the mould growth. Its dry now, and back in the fridge with the lid slightly ajar on the aging container. My first hard cheese so a bit nervous about getting the rind treatment right.

Mal, how often do you wash with your apple cider vinegar, and do you use this on your Caerphilly?

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 11:51:52 PM »
Yah, you have to play with the box lid to get in the zone where it doesn't crack and it doesn't stay damp. You'll get it.

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 12:16:19 AM »
In my cave, if I set the top so I have about 1-2 inches of space at one end it usually drops my humidity down by 5-10%

boothrf

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 12:26:23 PM »
So, after 3.5 weeks I decided to cut the cheese and have a taste......

Yes, very impressed! The cheese is quite mild and creamy, but has a nice bite at the end. Very much better than supermarket mass made cheddar, and it even has a slight taste of aged ceddar, which I think is amazing at 3.5 weeks!  The rind is quite tasty, if you like the extra bite and perhaps, bitterness from the moulds. This is definitely a cheese to make again and experiment with. As well as making fine adjustments to the make, I would like to play with the rind treatments to see what other flavours I can develop. Very, very happy with this cheese, my first attempt at hard cheese.  :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »
Congrats, Bob.

Will you seal part of it and age it a little longer?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 07:05:37 PM »
Very nice cheese Bob!  Lovely interior.  I always end up with mechanical openings, but you seem to have achieved a nice solid paste.  And a cheese to you for it.  Sounds like the taste is good too.  Nice.  As I say, caerphilly is one of my own favorites.  The quick turn around time just one of its many positives.

- Jeff

boothrf

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »
Thanks Boofer and Jeff.

Yes, I plan to vac pack half the wheel and age it for another 4 weeks to assess the difference.

I'm very pleased with the solid paste, first time I have used my simple press and the result exceeded my expectations. The paste has a slightly rubbery texture, similar to some Swiss styles, or even Jarlsberg. The flavour was quite surprising. I was expecting a much milder, sweeter flavour, but this one has a good, rich cheese taste with that hint of bite at the finish. I can only liken the bite to that lovely aged cheddar bite, without the same depth of flavour.

Thanks for all the recommendations to try this cheese, it really is a great cheese to play with and develop some techniques for hard cheese making. 

And thanks for the cheese Jeff!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 12:02:34 AM »
Just for a bit of a different rind development I like to use a nice Apple Cider Vinegar.  It also adds a nice tang to the rind without getting into the cheese.  Otherwise it is all looking good so far.

--Mal

Hi Mal,
So you use straight cider vinegar?  Pasteurized?  Liberally or just dampening the cloth with it and then wiping?  Sounds like a cool option to have in my arsenal.   thanks.......

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 12:17:36 AM »
I just use a clean Cheese cloth dipped in Cider Vinegar. you don't want to wet the rind too much but you do need to make sure the mold is dampened. It's not so much a washing excersise as a weeding one. :P  We just finished our last Caerphilly - Thankfully We have a three day weekend so I can make another.  My last batch of Camembert are just coming on so we will eat those and when they are finished the next Caerphilly will be ready - Just.

Caerphilly is such a wonderful house cheese and great with 'Bubbly' by the way.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !