Author Topic: My first Reblochon, inspired by iratherfly and Boofer  (Read 8657 times)

Shazah

Re: My first Reblochon, inspired by iratherfly and Boofer
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 06:42:08 AM »
Hi Yoav

I'm pleased the colour is good at this stage.

The morge brine is as per your instructions @ 5%

I did have a lucky escape though.  The first two times I washed the cheeses I sprinkled some rock salt, to make the light scratches.  It was only after I read your response on the Talleggio thread about not doing that longer than one or two times, I realised I had to stop.  I haven't added any extra salt since then and hopefully haven't killed off any B linens??

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 05:39:32 AM »
Yes, I think there's a definite Reblochon-on-spruce renaissance occurring....  :D  Nice!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

iratherfly

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 06:42:27 AM »
Hi Yoav

I'm pleased the colour is good at this stage.

The morge brine is as per your instructions @ 5%

I did have a lucky escape though.  The first two times I washed the cheeses I sprinkled some rock salt, to make the light scratches.  It was only after I read your response on the Talleggio thread about not doing that longer than one or two times, I realized I had to stop.  I haven't added any extra salt since then and hopefully haven't killed off any B linens??
Yes, I would actually not do it more than the first wash. I repeat it later if too much stuff is growing and I want to slow it down.  The salt kills a lot of the surface bloom so while you encourage re-growth of strong elastic rind, remember that you are also killing some of the stuff you grew on it. It's a bit like trimming bushes in the gardens to make them grow nice flowers. It's a good thing but you don't want to trim it to death...

Shazah

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
I decided I couldn't wait any longer and I opened up one of my Reblochon after 30 days in the cold fridge.

It smells lovely, not like smelly socks I'm pleased to say.  More like mushrooms maybe?

It tastes wonderful and the texture is smooth, even though it could do with a little more ripening.

I gave half away as a gift and the remaining half didn't last long at our place. :P

I've since opened another one, a week later, and it's amazing the change in just one week.  The flavour is slightly stronger and the texture is more even, and becomes quite gooey after sitting out for 30 minutes.  They haven't turned out to be as orange as I expected, but I am still well pleased with them

As I've decided to give my clients a Cheese Box for Christmas, I've got enough time, if I make these again this weekend.  I won't be changing anything from this first make.

I think I'm going to include a wedge each of Reblochon, Caerphilly, Camobozola, Brie and/or Feta and Halloumi.  My question is, will all these cheeses stand up to being vac packed (individually) for a few days between giving the gift and eating them the following week of Christmas?

george

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
I think I'm going to include a wedge each of Reblochon, Caerphilly, Camobozola, Brie and/or Feta and Halloumi.  My question is, will all these cheeses stand up to being vac packed (individually) for a few days between giving the gift and eating them the following week of Christmas?
From my own experience, plus what I've read here on the forum, definitely yes on the Caerphilly.  I haven't vac'd b. linens cheeses myself yet (have a Port Salut I'm ready to try it with), but I know Boofer has done it successfully.  Cambozola and Brie, no - they'll get smooshed and suffocated.  For those I wrap the pieces semi-loosely in plastic wrap and stick 'em in a baggie.  Whole ones are in cheese paper in an open baggie.

Not sure about feta and haloumi - I think the moisture/whey from the feta might cause weirdness (not to mention the problems of trying to vac something wet).  Haloumi I've never had so I don't know if it would have the same issues as feta.  How about just using little plastic containers for the feta and associated brine and doing that one that way?

(I love planning cheeses for holiday gifts - the only problem is with some of them I have to remember to start them in June - or a year ahead!  But this is why I love my specialties, including Rebs - all of them are usually ready within 3 months or less.  LOL - more proof of my laziness.)

LoftyNotions

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »
Very nice, Shazah.

Is that one of your larger or smaller Rebs? Have you tried both sizes yet, and if so, what differences did you notice?

A cheese for you.

Larry

Shazah

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
Thanks Mary/Larry

To be honest, I forgot to check for the differences.  In the end the only way I could tell the two styles apart was by some little indentations on the cheese from the feet of the mould I had to use as a makeshift follower.  The fact that the later one I opened was creamier could account for the two being from the different moulds.  I still have two left and will try to be more observant when I open them.

To sum up, any difference is very minimal so I will have no worries about using the homemade moulds for future makes (but the real deal Reblochon moulds are still my preferred option)

One improvement for this make is I now have my ExStik Ph meter, so should get a better idea on those readings.  I'm a little nervous about using it, but I've read alot about them on here and as long as I callibrate it correctly at the start I guess it should be all good to go :-\

Dairymaid

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 01:08:21 AM »

I've been really pleased with my cave.  It was a cheapie at $399.00 compared to the average price of $800 to $1000 for a similar dual temp wine fridge.  I check the temp by having another thermometer in there and so far it hasn't missed a beat.

Hi there, I am new to the site and finding my way around slowly - am reading all sorts of info which is useful (but not necessarily what I set out to look for!).  I note you are in NZ too, so am curious to know where you found a fridge for $399?  You might also know the answer to my original search - what is the flocculation time for Gouda?? 

Shazah

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 07:06:11 AM »
Hi Dairymaid

Where abouts in NZ are you?  If you're in or around Auckland you could pick up a Wine Cellar from The Happy Kiwi guy in Pakuranga, otherwise he ships around the country.  I purchased mine through TradeMe and was able to go pick it up so I didn't have added freight on top of the price.  I had a quick check on there before answering this and I couldn't find any of his adds so Googled him for his website.  He has them on there for $895.00 yikes, that's a big rise in price in a short time.  Either he realised he was onto a winner with all us cheeseheads buying up large or he's decided to match the market.  You could always contact him and try to negotiate a price by telling him you know they've been on TM for $399.00

In response to your flocculation question, you could try http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1881.0;attach=4155

Cheers
Sharon

JeffHamm

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
Hi,

Lim's Electronics, in Manukau, also sells wine fridges and they are  much less than that. http://www.limelectronics.co.nz/refridgerators.html  (note, this price was only until end of Aug, so it could have changed).

Also, this is owned by my in-laws, so I'll declare that as my conflict of interest; it's because of me they realised it makes a great cheese cave as well though! :)

- Jeff
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:48:31 PM by JeffHamm »

Shazah

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 07:38:42 PM »
Hi Jeff

I looked at the Haier model but unfortunately the guy in the shop (not your in-laws) couldn't confirm the temperature range for me.

Do you use that model?  If so, can you tell me the range?  I have a lot of people asking me about my cheese fridge and would be happy to recommend your folks as the go-to place to get one at a good price.

JeffHamm

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 10:47:51 PM »
Hi,

Yes, this is the model I have and use.  It's been really good for me.  I keep a thermometer in the fridge and it's constantly at 10 C, which works for me.  I don't think you can set it to be warmer, but I'm not positive on that and there may be a bit of room to go warmer.  But 10 C seems to be a good all purpose aging temperature.

- Jeff

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »
 Help, can anyone tell me what cultures I can use for Reblochon style make if I don't have what is called for?

Here's what I'm missing:
Yoav/iratherfly's recipe calls for  MY800 or Thermo B, and Flora Danica or Probation 222.  I don't have either the Flora Danica (or sub option), or the MY800
Jos Vulto's recipe in Gianaclis' book calls for a TA 50 that I don't have. (I have TA 61 though) and SR3 that I don't have.  I have Geo 13 but not the Geo 15 he calls for.
Gianaclis' Reblochon style recipe calls for this that I don't have: TA 50,

Normally I would spend happy hours scouring this site for answers but the milk is in the pot and I've to pack essence orders up until the time I'll start the make.  Ideas?

I do have MM100, MA4001, TA61,MT1, Thermo B from Abiasa, KAZUHIRO, PC VB, PC SAM, Geo 13' PLA, LBC80
off to work in my bottling room but I'll check back.....

bbracken677

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »
Don't know the rest of the answers, but I am fairly sure that your Geo will work...slightly different strain from the 15, and a different growth rate, which I don't think will make a huge difference.

I would also suspect that your TA61 will work also....but I will hope someone else can chime in.

The main difference between MM100 and Flora Danica is a single strain, and the mix of the common strains may be in a different ratio. I believe the main difference in outcome is the FD will contribute a bit more of a buttery flavor...but not significantly IMHO.

iratherfly

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 07:41:34 AM »
Sorry Kathrin, as you can see from my other post (and the email I wrote you last week) I was up to my ears in hurricane fun...

Wish you would have just asked me...
First off, I have all of those cultures available so I can always send stuff our way!

But more importantly, it seems thay you already have everything you need.

Instead of Flora Danica you can use your MA4001. It will be a bit less creamy/buttery but still very proper and some people actually prefer it that way. MA4001 also contains S.Thermophilius which is exactly ...TA 50!  Add to this your Thermo B and you got the rest of what you need for this mixture! Done!

MY800 is a culture that not many people are familiar with. It's a specialty culture that is made specifically for Reblochon.  The trick of it is not so much the components in it but rather their very unique acidity schedule. This mixture won't mimic it perfectly but it would definitely do the job and give you a proper Reblochon!

Now as far as the rind treatment goes; good news here too. PLA is *THE* Reblochon rind culture. You don't need anything else. Just use PLA (as in the recipe I posted).

Jos Vulto by the way is a dear friend here in NYC. He is also a forum member, (Forum name is Oude Kaas).  His cheese isn't a classic Reblochon. He is more about creating propitiatory cheeses that let the milk speak for itself.