Author Topic: Best way to achieve a creamy paste, particularly in blues?  (Read 6726 times)

bbracken677

Best way to achieve a creamy paste, particularly in blues?
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
My next make will likely be a blue of some sort. I really like a creamy smooth blue paste and would love some recommendations as well as the best methodology for achieving that creamy, smooth soft paste. 

Thanks in advance  :)

Meanwhile I will be perusing the forum reading blue threads to see what I can see.

Tomer1

Re: Best way to achieve a creamy paste, particularly in blues?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:48:35 PM »
In one word - moisture.

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »
So...I would want to use a floc multiplier of 5 or 6....I would want to make sure that I rennet at a .1 drop in pH...Correct?

The next question would be, what blue? Stilton type, Gorgonzola, or Forme d'Ambert?  Even though I love blue cheese I have very little experience with the differing varieties.
Based on some readings, a Gorgonzola may be more to my liking...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 06:04:25 AM »
So...I would want to use a floc multiplier of 5 or 6....I would want to make sure that I rennet at a .1 drop in pH...Correct?

The next question would be, what blue? Stilton type, Gorgonzola, or Forme d'Ambert?  Even though I love blue cheese I have very little experience with the differing varieties.
Based on some readings, a Gorgonzola may be more to my liking...
You know what my vote is going to be!!!
Fourme d'Ambert
"Fourme d'Ambert is a rich and creamy cow milk blue from the Auvergne region of France. It has a thin, yellowish rind mottled with sandy molds. Its interior is bone white with distinctive bluing. Although its scent is very earthy, Fourme d'Ambert has a creamy,mild flavor with a slight nutty finish. The paste is both soft and smooth. Try this cheese with sweet Sauternes as a dessert course or as a light meal accompanying a salad and slice of crusty bread."

Terrific blue...yum!  ;D

Here's something else for you to ponder. Click on the pic to zoom in on the cheeses...up close and personal.  8)

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:35:49 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »
I have 2 candidates, it would appear....the Fourme d' Ambert and a Gorgonzola Dulce.
There is very little posted in the forum regarding Gorgonzola....one thing that does interest me in this make would be the morning and evening curds, as the traditional make.
I suppose I could just make both  haha.
The advantage to the FdA would be the extensive info and experience available on this forum....hmmmm

So many cheeses, so little time......

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
I had decided to go the slurry route with the blue, and yesterday picked out a nice looking donor.

It is a FdA, by the way  :D

bbracken677

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:23:34 PM »
I am pretty sure I want to go the Gorgonzola Dulce route first try.

I read this description and it pretty much describes what I am looking for to a T:

"Gorgonzola Dolce has a thin fragile rind, the paste is white to pale yellow with greenish-blue veins, the texture is quite creamy -- moister than Stilton and more buttery than Roquefort. This is all the result of a higher moisture content and larger curd size. It's blue veining is subtle and feathery, with a softer, easier flavor. It is glistening and creamy making it a very easy cheese to love. What else would you expect from a cheese named "Dolce"."

Now I just need to settle on a recipe....

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:20:37 AM »
Fun stuff!  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Susie

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »
Keep us posted. I love me some Stilton and want to do that soon when the weather cools. I also plan to do the slurry method, so I'll be curious to watch and see how your make comes out!

bbracken677

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
Will do!  Boofer has used the slurry method a couple of times...his results were what drove me to using similar methodology.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 01:26:23 AM »
My experience with blues leads to me think that blues are all about pH.  Blue mould loves acid.  In terms of making it soft - make it moist, and to make it creamy - add cream.  But without the lactic acid formed during make the blue moulds just cant do their thing so the cheese will end up cheddary in flavour and texture.  NVD.

BobE102330

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 02:49:02 AM »
In medical parlance NVD means nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  I found myself thinking there's someone who REALLY doesn't like cheddar until I reread your name ;)

Sorry for the OT post. 

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 06:04:38 AM »
It always concerned me that before sexually transmitted diseases became STD's in Australia they were known as venereal diseases with obvious implications for NVD, but I had never thought about nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  From now on I will sign off NV, at least that is just a mortal sin (if I remember my Sunday school teachings correctly!).

BobE102330

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »
I remember the term VD before they were STDs, we must be old ;)

It must have been the way you added your signature to the end of the line, it never struck me as funny when your NVD was on a separate line.  That or proximity to "cheddary in flavour and texture"  We got a smile out of it, so it cannot be a bad thing. 

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 11:30:49 PM »
Ah...my return key has stopped working so now all my emails etc. are now in one long paragraph! I'm 46 so I don't think of myself as old but I'm certainly not young anymore... I live near Nimbin, the Australian equivalent of Woodstock (??), so in the eyes of many in this area I am still 10 years old!  Funny thing seeing hippies with wheelie-walkers and other mobility aids.  My advice to everyone is to eat lots of cheese and wear sunscreen. The alternative lifestyle seems to play havoc with the skin.  Maybe it was the pot too.  Back now to the creamy blue thread...  NV.