Author Topic: Anyone Got A Rambol Recipe?  (Read 7707 times)

JustPeachy

Anyone Got A Rambol Recipe?
« on: August 31, 2012, 01:10:56 AM »
OMG! I just had this for the first time and it's TDF! We picked up a wedge of hickory smoked and it was soooooo creamy and just lush! I have to try to make this. Anyone got a recipe? I tried a search and turned up nothing. I wasn't even sure what section of the boards to put this topic in. Help! Ha! Oh, I also looked in my 200EHC and nothing. A true enigma. Now, I'm even more hell-bent.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:42:20 AM by JustPeachy »

linuxboy

Re: Anyone Got A Rombal Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:59:00 AM »
I've never heard of this cheese. Who makes it?

JustPeachy

Re: Anyone Got A Rambol Recipe?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:38:30 AM »
I found this on googlelicious.... it's the same one that I had. Am seriously considering purchasing a wheel just to try and reverse engineer over a glass or two of white wine!  ;D http://www.gourmet-food.com/french-cheese/smoked-rambol-cheese-1000588.aspx It was truly awesome. They say it's nice with fondue but why the hell waste it like that when it's great straight up!

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 02:48:49 AM »
Oh rambol not rombal. I thought this was some small unknown cheese. Rambol is made from comte; it's a processed cheese. Pretty standard stuff in terms of processed cheese approach, except with great source material, and smoked afterward.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:39:04 AM »
And here.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 06:16:22 AM »
So basically it's a gruyere that been smoked?  Sounds interesting....in the description Boofer linked to it says cooked then smoked.

(as in smoked fish or smoked turkey, which end do they light?)   

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:18:30 AM »
No, it is a processed cheese. And it is a gruyere de comte (fat content is different from classic gruyere). It's essentially a way to sell more water in the form of a processed cheese, and also add flavor through wood smoke. The idea is to imitate the paste of a bloomy rind through food science and create a value-added product from leftover comte bits.

hoeklijn

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 06:38:14 AM »
In the Netherlands you mostly find the non-smoked and spreadable Rambol as a common and cheap supermarket product, with herbs or nuts.

JustPeachy

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 02:42:40 AM »
Oh rambol not rombal. I thought this was some small unknown cheese. Rambol is made from comte; it's a processed cheese. Pretty standard stuff in terms of processed cheese approach, except with great source material, and smoked afterward.

Sorry to get you all excited only to be deflated with my transposed vowels. That happens sometimes.  ::)

You make it sound like the dregs of the cheese world. Perhaps it is. I don't really know. I'm relatively new to this cheese stuff and no snob by any means. I simply liked the taste and texture. I adore smoked cheeses anyway and I'd still like to aim for something similar in creaminess with a mellow smoked flavor.

I'm open to suggestions, and I own a smoker if that makes any difference.

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 02:46:46 AM »
Oh, no, I didn't mean it like that at all, sorry. I meant it is definitely doable to make it at home, but it's not like normal cheese. You would need to make cheese first, then take it and shred it, then make it into a processed cheese, including adding emulsifiers, and then smoke it afterward. I have nothing at all against processed cheese when it is done well.

That smooth texture is really hard to achieve with normal cheese. Something similar would be munster, which you could smoke. The flavor would be very different, though. I don't think it is possible to create the similar combo of flavor and texture without making a processed cheese.