Author Topic: Tommie cheese  (Read 4972 times)

Glenda

Tommie cheese
« on: September 07, 2012, 04:41:33 AM »
Has any one a good reciept for a tommie? Would love it.

linuxboy

Re: Tommie cheese
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:55:40 AM »
Do you mean tomme? What is a tommie cheese? If you mean tomme, please search the forums.

Glenda

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 06:12:12 PM »
Yes i mean  tomme de savoie,sorry, ddoes any one have a good reciept?

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
Glenda, Tomme style cheeses is one of the most popular to make amongst cheesemakers on this forum. There is A LOT of information and recipes/formulas here.  You may want to use the introduction section to introduce yourself and tell us about your cheesemaking experience (or your plans to start making cheese if you are not making it yet). When it comes to Tomme, many people here can help you!

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
Pretty much that. My original tomme thread has details and explains the exact way that tomme is made in the savoie. Please search for past discussions.

Glenda

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 04:30:25 AM »
I have one going, 1 month ,the rind is slow in progress. Washing with b linenes and sprayed with penicilenn. Going over it with a salt water wash.there is spots of mold brown an. Blue a fine layer of white mold. Does it sound like it a work in progress? How long do they age?the mold is just here an there not all over. Any advise?

iratherfly

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 07:19:57 AM »
Can you post a photo? It sounds like you have too much going on.  If you are washing with B.Linens, why are you spraying it with penicilium? The brown and the blue could be results of high moisture, contamination, or something else you put in the milk. Which recipe did you use?

Glenda

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:35:13 AM »
I used a reciept from artision cheese making at home. The cheese has been aging for 1month an 1week .should i give it a rest an do nothing but brush it a couple times a week? I ordered some PLA should i wash it with that? I like the tommes with the brownish rine an white mold.how do you acheive that

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:24:45 AM »
Where did you get your PLA and what for?  (I sell it, I am always interested in knowing who else is selling it...).

At this point it's too late to start washing this one with PLA.  If you can post a photo I can probably give you some better help.  The gray-brownish color depends on what's alive in your natural surroundings. I would not brush back but instead pat it down and rub lightly by hand, so you create thick coating on the rind eventually. Give it 1-2 months. It will turn brownish  gray or grayish-green or brownish-yellow.  You need to treat this rind like growing a garden. Carefully. Keep it alive. Give it moisture but don't kill it with too much of it.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »
I used a reciept from artision cheese making at home. The cheese has been aging for 1month an 1week .should i give it a rest an do nothing but brush it a couple times a week? I ordered some PLA should i wash it with that? I like the tommes with the brownish rine an white mold.how do you acheive that
Can you post the recipe you used?

Can you also update your profile for your location?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Glenda

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »
The reciept is pretty close to yours except i used 2gal. Milk. And have kept it in a closed container  haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. The next tomme i do i'll use the reciept  on the blog by pav. I ordered the Pla from danisco. So the next tomme i should  dry out 2 days then into container? What then??? Please advise.thanks

iratherfly

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 06:44:38 PM »
Glenda, where are you located? Danisco doesn't sell directly to the public.
I would not close the container completely but leave some opening for air to breathe and reduce humidity to 85%-90%. If your container is closed you may have too much humidity (95%-100%) which makes up all those crazy molds you are seeing.

To post photos, click on Attachments and other options below the text box when you write a post.

Also, please share the recipe, the type of milk (raw? Pasteurized? Homogenized? Whole milk? Skim milk? Added cream?) and tell us how you age it. Do you have a special fridge? Cave? Wine cooler?