Author Topic: Gouda newbie  (Read 4643 times)

Chedhead

Gouda newbie
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
Hi all! I've made my first Gouda recipe was from 200 cheeses.  I know the brine is chilled but when I store it for 12 hrs in brine bath is that at room temp or in the cheese cave?  Thanks

hoeklijn

Re: Gouda newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:15:41 AM »
Use the coolest room available. There's no need to brine it in the cave. The cheesefarm where I buy my raw milk is brining in their storage where only a AC is used to get a slightly lower temperature. I brine in my bathroom (no, not in the bath) which is at the north. In summer it's about 2-4C cooler than outside.

Chedhead

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:23:43 AM »
Thanks! 

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:39:44 AM »
Hi all! I've made my first Gouda recipe was from 200 cheeses.  I know the brine is chilled but when I store it for 12 hrs in brine bath is that at room temp or in the cheese cave?  Thanks

I misplaced my copy of that book. Is that the recipe which calls for one week of air drying?

Good job on the Gouda, they are fun to make!

mjr522

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:46:57 AM »
Herman--the bath would be better than where I imagined it being brined...:o

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:49:40 AM »
Herman--the bath would be better than where I imagined it being brined...:o

AAAHHHHH!!! Bad visual!!!!

:p

Chedhead

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:06:42 AM »
  :D u all crack me up
I just looked and I actually used RC recipe. 3 weeks drying in cave before wax.  And after reading on the forum I was worried that it would end up rubbery, but thankfully I don't have to worry about that since there was a slight cross contamination issue with a delicious meunster, so I put it in the regular fridge to dry it out after a good scrub down and then forgot about it, so it cracked. So I opened it up ate ate it.  Awesome flavor, I used flora Danica and although the texture is a wee crumbly (it's still young) its yummy. I'm going to vac bag half and see what happens.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 03:35:10 AM »
  :D u all crack me up
I just looked and I actually used RC recipe. 3 weeks drying in cave before wax.  And after reading on the forum I was worried that it would end up rubbery, but thankfully I don't have to worry about that since there was a slight cross contamination issue with a delicious meunster, so I put it in the regular fridge to dry it out after a good scrub down and then forgot about it, so it cracked. So I opened it up ate ate it.  Awesome flavor, I used flora Danica and although the texture is a wee crumbly (it's still young) its yummy. I'm going to vac bag half and see what happens.

Oh yeah, RC's recipe makes a good Gouda IMO. I have used it a few times and been happy.

So your Gouda was flirting with the Muenster huh? Scandalous! I bet is was good though!

Chedhead

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 03:39:19 AM »
They got along a little too well. There was b linens on everything but the muenster!  ;D

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 04:01:04 AM »
They got along a little too well. There was b linens on everything but the muenster!  ;D

He he, oops.

Did you use a ripening container for the muenster?