Author Topic: Listeria deaths and sickness.  (Read 1962 times)

Dulcelife

Listeria deaths and sickness.
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/09/12/cheese-listeria-recall/?hpt=hp_c3

Very sad.  Just goes to show, there is no guarantee.  I think I will stick to my cheese.

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Listeria deaths and sickness.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »
Ricotta salata is a fresh cheese with MUCH higher risk.

Alison

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:54:39 AM »
Horrors!

Since I use raw milk for my cheese, I was wondering where did the contamination must have occurred.... Am I correct in suspecting that it must have been post curding since that happens at above 80C? I know it's speculation, but where would the obvious post-curding places to clean up be? Floor, walls, equipment... aircon?

Just want to be cautious...

thanks
Alison

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:22:47 AM »
The most incredible thing about it (which proves that the whole witch hunt over raw milk cheese is utter nonsense) is that this is a pasteurized high-temp cheese.  It has been proven that Listeria can contaminate cheese that has been properly pasteurized. It's not clear how it got contaminated but this isn't listeria from the milk or production of the cheese.

My wife is pregnant and eats lots of Ricotta now for the proteins. We never buy the domestic brands so now I have to tell her to watch out (though I have never seen this brand).

On the flip side, I am happy to announce that it looks like I am going to carry this new anti-listeria culture from France. I expect a first shipment within a month or so. How cool is that?