Author Topic: Emmental schmier/rind question  (Read 6180 times)

jwalker

Re: Emmental schmier/rind question
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 11:08:43 PM »
Also I haven't had it proven scientifically or performed extensive experiments, but it would appear to me that alcohol in fairly high concentrations works the best, and vinegar is not as ideal.

So , what would you recomend for alcohol , I did use vermouth (20% by volume ) with salt added.

It still got very soft , so I dried it out and waxed it , it turned out very good , however , I would love to get a natural rind to turn out.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 03:07:50 AM »
I use wine. used to use 1/4 to 1/2 by volume mixed with water, then add salt to taste.
Now I have increased my alcohol content, and if there is a sign of mold or mites or other infections, I will rub it down with straight wine.

The schmier will get very soft -consider that a translation of the word schmier could be 'grease' so that is a little like we are working up, it's wet and slimy and sticky, but it will dry off. Also it will rub off onto your brush, just dissolve it into the wash solution.

Kirkbybil

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 09:07:16 PM »
Hi Alp,

I washed my Emmentalers (first few posts of this thread) using your schmier recommendations and the one I have eaten so far was delicious. A couple of questions:

1. The one I ate was delicious but constantly a bit smelly and sticky as it was being eaten. I never considered what to do about this for some reason and I never read any posts about what to do about the schmier before eating,  but, as I wanted to vac pack the second to continue ageing I decided to wash it (under the tap) and the stickiness washed away. I then patted dry with paper towels and left to air dry a few hours before vac packing.  Seemed to work well but was this the right thing to do? 

2. I'm going to make a Beaufort at the weekend which I will probably wash as well. Can I use the remaining (creamy coloured & stinky) wash from the Emmentaler, can I rejuvenate it in any way, can I use it as a 'starter' for a new wash, or should just I discard and start again.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 12:56:01 AM »
I would just start again if the wash is very old at all, not being able to see it I can't say too much.

Usually, you let the cheese sit out and air dry for a while before you would cut it. So like, when the cheese is in the aging cellar it might get washed only once a week and then after 6 months not at all. So if you let it air dry a week or two before you cut it, you will be OK

Matthewcraig

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 07:05:29 AM »
i am sorry this doesn’t really have anything to do with the post bill, but in the back i noticed you had goats milk and in harrogate i cant really find anywhere that sells it, where did you get it if you don’t mind me asking?

Kirkbybil

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 09:28:15 PM »
Hi,

I haven't found anywhere that sells fresh goats milk.

I have been using it from the supermarket, Waitrose or Sainsbury sell it in 2 litre cartons and it gives a good yield so one carton makes a decent cheese.  It's about £1.90 a carton.

Kirkbybil

Matthewcraig

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »
ok thankyou bill i will have a look maybe this afternoon