Author Topic: pH meter  (Read 8391 times)

bbrown131211

pH meter
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:52:31 PM »
I am thinking of asking Santa for a pH meter for Christmas. I noticed that New England Cheesemaking supply has one for slightly under $100. Others I saw averaged about $500. If you have had experience with the less expensive meter, I would be grateful to you for sharing your thoughts and recommendations. I am a small home cheese maker who makes a couple cheeses per month. Thank you.

BobE102330

Re: pH meter
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
There are lots of folks here who swear by the Exetech PH100 and PH110 models.  Remember to ask Santa for buffer solutions to calibrate whatever you get.  There are some really cheap ~$25 models that most people swear at rather than by.  I will get an Exetech soon.

A google search for "ph meter reviews" turned up one in the ads that looks like the New England Cheesemaking PH2 model (when there was a picture) for only $45.  Hanna instruments 98107.  The 98107K includes the buffers for $93.  Rikki includes buffers so maybe her price is a decent deal.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
I am not a fan of the 98107 for the typical user. IMHO, it requires some detailed knowledge of meter maintenance for it to function well (junction reconditioning, bulb permeability, etc). It does work, but would most likely be frustrating for most people.

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »
I use a cheap one http://www.amazon.com/PHTester-PH-107-Digital-Meter-Tester/dp/B005KGKCRA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1347556608&sr=8-10&keywords=pH+meter that has, surprisingly, worked pretty well for me. Have only had to calibrate it once....it's drawback is that it can't really test the pH of solids, but rather just liquids...so once a cheese has been made and is no longer weeping whey, you can't use it to check pH. One other drawback is it only registers to one decimal place. But for $10 it is surprisingly useful and will suffice until I get a better one.

bbrown131211

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »
Thank you for the information. It really helps.

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 07:36:59 PM »
I am (and not as the only one on this forum) using an Extech PH100. IMHO good value for the money...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 06:19:34 AM »
I am (and not as the only one on this forum) using an Extech PH100. IMHO good value for the money...
Ditto...<<== What he said.  8)

My ExStik PH100 works great if you keep it clean and calibrate it properly (not difficult).

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Shazah

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 07:59:33 AM »
Hi Boofer

I'm thinking of getting an ExStik, even though I have read some adverse reviews about reliability on Amazon.  I'm not sure what/if there is a difference between buffer solution and callibration fluid and do I need to get the 4 and the 7 bottles they sell?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sharon
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:41:16 AM by Shazah »

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 08:44:44 AM »
Its exacly the same.  Yes, 7 and 4 is advicable.

hoeklijn

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 09:12:32 AM »
I bought in one set the 7 and the 4, plus the 10 that I probably never will use, PLUS a special pepsin cleaning fluid for milk GRL 100 from Greisinger. One set for 28 euro.

Tomer1

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 02:15:36 PM »
fairly expenssive I'd say.  Id just buy 1$ pouces from ebay and store them in airtight bottles in the fridge.  I pour a bit of solution into the bottle (left outside to warm up a bit) cap to calibrate and return the solution to the bottle.    I ofcourse rince before , in between and after with distilled water (and dry the electrode) to prevent contamination or dilution of the cal. solutions.

No need for pepsin, just the same liquid enzyme you use for cheesemaking.

Shazah

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 07:49:06 PM »
Thanks Tomer1

I ordered the Exstik from Amazon but as luck would have it, their supplier won't ship the buffer solution to New Zealand.  I went ahead with the purchase as Amazon had it almost USD$20 cheaper than anywhere else I spotted it. 

I have already found a NZ site that will send me the buffer solution at a pretty reasonable price of NZD$12 for the two bottles.

I've watched a few YouTube videos and now feel like I know a little more about how it should be used.

Cheers
Sharon

Tomer1

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
Im sure you have lab equipment stores in NZ or at least at the mainland. they should be able to supply you.

boothrf

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »
That's quite funny Tomer.  By "mainland" do you mean Australia?  ;)  (That's an Aussie/Kiwi joke, sorry Shazah, I couldn't resist)

Shazah

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 01:19:41 AM »
Hey Bob that is funny. ;D

I'm from Dunedin but live in Auckland.  We South Islanders always consider the South Island to be the Mainland - it's bigger in area but not population.