Author Topic: My Second Colby  (Read 1263 times)

JimSteel

My Second Colby
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »
I recently opened my second wheel of Colby as well as a Gouda and Edam that I had crafted.  They were all about 2 or 3 months old.  The Colby and Gouda were very, very nice, but my Edam was sorely lacking.  These were the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pressed cheeses I've made to date.  The one thing I've noticed about all of my cheeses is that they have this... pasty texture.  Especially the Edam.  Flavour is great, they all cut nicely, the Gouda had a very nice springy texture to it, the Edam was a bit tougher.  Still, they coat my mouth when I eat them, kind of like the feeling of eating straight peanut butter, but a few levels of intensity lower.

I followed the recipes from 200 Easy as closely as I possibly could; there were no major mishaps.  Without getting into too much detail on my makes, what in general, would cause a bit of pastiness?(is that even a word?)  Oh yeah... standard pasteurized cow milk at 3.25%, Vegetable rennet, and regular old "meso cultures" were used.

JimSteel

Re: My Second Colby
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
Edam and Gouda, not a great picture, but it was late....

shotski

Re: My Second Colby
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »
Jim , I have not run into that issue I hope someone more knowledgeable that I will offer some explanation. Having said that they look really good.

John