Author Topic: red 'mold' problem  (Read 3212 times)

Moredsir

red 'mold' problem
« on: September 15, 2012, 05:50:57 AM »
I have a red coating on my Camembert. I know why it's there, I didn't turn it often enough when it was sitting on the sushi mats draining early on and so not enough air got to that part of the surface.

The question I have is what to do about it now. I left it for a bit to see if the P.Cand would fight it off but it's almost like the PC is growing over the top of it.

Anyone know whether it's likely to be bad/unsafe to eat or is it just visual fault? Actually I'm curious to how many unwanted growths are risky to eat.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:57:40 AM by Moredsir »

Cloversmilker

Re: red 'mold' problem
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
Is it possibly a linens?  What does it smell like?  Munsterish?

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:26:34 AM »
Kinda looks like the whole surface (the "red" part) of a commercial cam where the PC has died off leaving a fairly bare rind.

Moredsir

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »
Hmm, yes a bit linens in colour. It's possible I've contaminated my PC with Brevibacterium L, which I also have. It looks like PC is winning now I've dropped humidity a tad. Strangely the cheeses I have made with BL failed to go so red. I guess we learn by experiments.

Still curious as to the question of dangerous/unplanned growths?

bbracken677

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
Affinage conditions for a cam should be (at this stage) 41-43F and 85ish RH. Do you periodically turn the cheeses and press down the pc growth?

Moredsir

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:43:10 AM »
I try to turn daily, with a pat down, but sometimes it's longer.

Almost all of the orange is gone now, or at least hidden under the PC which is close to 100% coverage now. I'm going to assume safe to eat, will post when I do - or if you never hear from me again you'll know why ;)

smilingcalico

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:29:52 AM »
It looks pretty dang safe to me, very Linensy.  I was just going to sugest you might even consider promoting the linens with a wash and go more for a Reblochon style.  A happy accident.