Author Topic: Catalan Cheese  (Read 2085 times)

Joan

Catalan Cheese
« on: October 19, 2012, 06:25:01 AM »
Hello, I'm new in this forum. I'm sorry about my english, I'm from Barcelona.
I contact with you because I'm trying to start a new project to unveiled our cheese arround the world, and I want to know your opinion about it.
Do you know about catalans cheese? What do you think about them?
Catalonia is a small country in the north of iberian peninsula. I think we have a very good cheese, some of our cheese factories have won  the world cheese awards in differents categories. 
Thanks I wait to your answers.

I'have wrote this post in other place in forum. I don't know where's de correcte place.

SpargePervert

Re: Catalan Cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 08:06:34 AM »
I was in Catalonia this summer & have been a couple of times.  We were staying in a Cassa near Cardona and Solsona.  The markets there are amazing with lots of nice cheeses and meats.
I remember eating lots and lots of cheese but I dont know what there were called.  There were some nice mature gruyere-style cheeses and some amazing goats cheeses! 

Joan

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »
Hi, thank's for your answer. It's true. In Catalonia we make very good goat cheese, it's our speciality. I'm trying to creat an online shop for catalan cheeses. I think we have a very good cheese factories, all of them artesanal factories.

Thanks spargepervert!

Here you have some links about chesses factories in catalonia.
www.trosdesort.cat
www.formatgeriaserratgros.com

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:34:08 AM »
Hola Joan y mucho gusto!

I haven't yet visited Catalonia, but know Andalucia, Murcia, Extremadura (un poco), Madrid, Asturias y Pais Vasco (un poco).  Me encantan los quesos de Espana y quiero comprar el libro Los Quesos Grandes de Asturias, pero no se como. If anyone knows where I could buy this book, Los Quesos Grandes de Asturias, please let me know.

When in Asturias we visited a small local dairy (goat and cow) and learned how they made their cheeses.  We wanted to do the same for Cabrales, but this was in March and, of course, too cold still in Los Picos de Europa.

In Extremadura (Trujillo) we visited the wine and cheese museum (que lindo!) and after tasting one of the local wines there (Habla del Silencio), bought it at a corner store for only 10 euros.  I wish we could buy this wine here.

Acabamos de visitar San Sebastian y la feria agricultura en Guernica con los quesos tipicos del paisanos.  We love the sidra and txacoli, and I want to make the cheese cake they were selling--not like our cheesecake.  It was super!

So I hope to visit Catalonia in the future and try your goat cheeses!
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!