Author Topic: Pronunciation of named cheeses  (Read 4256 times)

Spellogue

Pronunciation of named cheeses
« on: September 15, 2012, 11:27:22 PM »
Does anyone know of any good resources on properly pronouncing the names of classic cheeses?  I hate to think that I am butchering the languages, but I'm almost certain any fromagier would wince at my attempts. 

Shazah

Re: Pronunciation of named cheeses
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:55:54 PM »
Haha I have often thought the same thing.

I visited Cheeselinks when I was in Australia recently and was really unsure of my pronunciation of Reblochon when they asked me what I was making.  I tend to just say it quietly in the hope they think they heard it right.  Luckily for me they didn't seem to even be aware of this cheese.  (Obviously not big readers of this forum.)

mjr522

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 12:34:02 AM »
I wonder if a majority of us have that same concern.  Most of the cheeses I'm now aware of, I have never heard any say--just read about them here.  Camembert:  Cam-(the lobe that moves the valves in my engine)-em-bear (the big furry animal)?, Cam-em-Bert (Ernie's roomate)?, Came-(I just "came" from the store)-em-Bert, etc... I'm just glad that the people I talk to about cheese have even less of a clue than I do.

When you find a good resource, let me know...I just thought of this: http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT#fr/en/reblochon

Is that right?  I'm not even sure I can say it now that I know how it should be said...if it's right.

Shazah

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:53:16 AM »
Wow, that worked amazingly well.

I was mostly saying it right except for the throaty little growl at the start, which I should have known that would be how the French pronounce it.

Spellogue

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »
In digging around I did find that The on-lone retailer Artisinal Cheese offers pronunciation guidance on many of the cheeses they carry.  It's a start, listing a lot of popular cheeses, but by no means is it exhaustive.   Here is a link:

http://www.artisanalcheese.com/Shop-By-Milk-Type/departments/1172/

The pronunciation is listed at the top of the cheese description, and seems well geared to American English speakers.  Wikipedia pronunciation symbols are supposed to be more universal, but I've never been able to make much sense of them.

Spellogue

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »
I tried the google translator and does work famously when set to translate French to French (or whatever language in which the cheese is named).  The results were often comical when set from French to English.  Made me feel good about some of my earlier attempts.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 12:52:51 AM »
No Swiss cheeses on that website? What a shame, left out the world's best!

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »
 :o Good to know I'm not the only one in the dark about how to pronounce cheese names (especially the French ones).  Here's my resource--and he does give the pronounciations

http://www.amazon.com/Cheese-Primer-Steven-Jenkins/dp/0894807625/ref=pd_sim_b_2
before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!