Author Topic: Cheese cave humidity  (Read 2606 times)

bbracken677

Cheese cave humidity
« on: August 07, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »
I have established my temp for my mini-fridge cheese cave at 50F (for first make of Camembert) and a humidity of 60% totally empty....
Once I have 2 or 3 cams in the fridge, how much of an effect will they have on the humidity? The fridge seal is in excellent shape, so I am sure that humidity will rise, just not sure how much.
I may just put them in containers just to make sure the humidity is high enough, but would prefer to have them out for better airflow.

BobE102330

Re: Cheese cave humidity
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
I didn't see much of a humidity jump with 4 Camemberts in my fridge. 

A plastic box inverted over the egg crate and mat seemed to get me right where it needed to be without raining on the cheese.  Without the box I couldn't get PC/Geo to cover the entire cheese before it dried out.  Once wrapped the growth covered the dry spots.   

Good luck.

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:27:03 PM »
yeah...that's what I had to do...anything requiring high humidity goes into a container of some kind. The most interesting thing is that as I am filling my cave up I get more of a temp variant from top to bottom. The cooling in my cave comes from the top and right now the top is at 41F whereas the bottom is close to 60F with the middle shelf at 52ish...perfect conditions for a variety of cheeses to age!!   That was totally unexpected. Meanwhile the humidity in the cave as a whole is a tad higher, but no where near the humidity needed for a cam or blue.

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
I didn't notice how old the post I'd responded to was.   ::)  I'm getting a similar variation in my fridge, too.