Author Topic: Boofer's Fancy  (Read 18346 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Boofer's Fancy
« on: September 16, 2012, 05:41:07 PM »
I wanted to get one more cheese into the Boofer cave network taking advantage of what I hoped would be some of the last summer milk. I bought four gallons of good whole raw Jersey milk. Then I was faced with a conundrum ("A confusing and difficult problem or question."). What cheese would I make with this milk? I had originally thought a cloth-bound Cheddar would be an interesting effort. Then I thought of the two Cheddars already aging in the cave network and decided against that idea. Maybe later.

I then considered a Trappist cheese...maybe something stinky and oozy 8). Yeah, but that would mean a young cheese that would possibly have a shorter shelf life than I wanted to make right now. And I was still ripening my Reblochon #4 so I already had a young cheese that would be ready soon. Boy, what a situation!

I was scouring online trying to get an idea or direction to go. I saw a reference to a cheese that was developed and then washed with a walnut liqueur. I combed through cheeses I had made that were pleasing. I thought a semi-soft to semi-hard cheese with a fairly dry rind enhanced with a pleasing liqueur wash might be nice to try. For the base cheese, I considered an Esrom or Tomme style. I was looking at Tuaca liqueur or Frangelico liqueur as a wash. Frangelico is a hazelnut-flavored liqueur. That might be very nice. This is mid-September, so it could be ready for the holidays. I think I've solved my predicament.

4 gallons whole raw Jersey milk
6 cubes Aroma B MC, melted
1/16 tsp PLA
1/32 tsp dry calf rennet

1/32 tsp PLA in 3% brine for wash

I followed the Esrom program, saved a gallon of whey for brine, washed one third of the curds with 130F water, and pressed first with 2.6psi and two flips under whey, and then with 5psi in pot without whey and naked(without the Plyban ;)). Brined when pH was 5.54 (a little sweeter) for 12 hours. Now out to air dry before heading into the cave network. Weeping a bit, as normal.

My floc was 33 minutes which surprised me. I had used less rennet expecting the raw milk to help me out. It didn't. I used a 3.5x multiplier.

Yes, I know, I probably should have kept the Plyban in place for the final pressing...then I wouldn't have those nubbins. Eh, they'll go away in time.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mjr522

Re: Boofer's Fancy
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:59:54 PM »
Sounds like a fun cheese, Boofer.  Hazelnut, eh?  I like most things that are hazelnut flavored...you'll have to tell me how it works out on this cheese.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »
Must be a German, the Germans put Hazelnut in everything. Pair it with some German chocolate and Nutella and you'll be in Hazelnut heaven!

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »
Hmm...You could always wash it with Kalua!   :)

Intriguing thread title...so open to misinterpretation   muahahaha

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:27:21 PM »
Must be a German, the Germans put Hazelnut in everything. Pair it with some German chocolate and Nutella and you'll be in Hazelnut heaven!
Well, the Frangelico is Italian. I'm part Swiss-Irish. Maybe I should have made a chocolate Derby?  ::)

The hazelnut character? Everything in moderation. Not trying to go over the top.

Hmm...You could always wash it with Kalua!   :)

Intriguing thread title...so open to misinterpretation   muahahaha
Uh, no on the Kahlua.

You know, Bruce, I had trouble deciding what to make. Then I couldn't decide where it would fall style-wise. It's intended to be a washed curd, washed rind cheese. I figured with the liqueur-washed rind that it might be a little more fancy than my previous efforts.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
haha was really kidding about the kahlua...

I think you have a fine experiment going and am looking forward to seeing the results! One of these days, once I have mastered the basics a bit more I will give something like this and your creamy delight a go. Right now I would just be happy to make cheeses that taste like their name sake, and then follow that up with improvements.    :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:23:39 AM »
haha was really kidding about the kahlua...

I think you have a fine experiment going and am looking forward to seeing the results! One of these days, once I have mastered the basics a bit more I will give something like this and your creamy delight a go. Right now I would just be happy to make cheeses that taste like their name sake, and then follow that up with improvements.    :)
I hear you. You know, some folks here have rubbed or coated their rinds with all manner of adjuncts so I wouldn't be surprised if someone was to do the Kahlua deal.

I'm in agreement, Bruce. All I'm trying to do is to get the basics down so I can do something innovative and delicious. Practice, practice, practice.... Where am I gonna put all this cheese? I open the cave door...and there's another one! Where are they all coming from?  ::)

That brings to mind the old Lucy show with the chocolates on the conveyor belt that just kept going faster.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:19:39 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

Susie

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:39:04 AM »
Love it! Cool idea. Again, I watch with great interest. I feel like such a spectator around here sometimes.  ;)

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 07:06:43 AM »
I still want to wash a cheese with Fig liqueur and pomegranate liqueur

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »
Ooooh, pomegranate liqueur? That sounds delicious! Don't know if I've ever seen it. Guess I've been sheltered.  :'(  I'll have to look for it.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 05:43:52 AM »
Getting some Geo coverage now. This initially had a butterfat coating on the rind so when I washed it you could feel the greasiness. That is subsiding, being reduced with the washing every other day. The once very prominent nubbins are being rubbed down as well. Pretty soon the rind will be as smooth as a baby's tocus.  ;)

Looks decent so far....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
Do you really think those nubbins will come all the way off?  I've got a cheese like that although it's not a washed rind cheese and I think the nubbins will likely be on there when it's being bitten into. 

bbracken677

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »
Nice looking cheese there!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
Do you really think those nubbins will come all the way off?  I've got a cheese like that although it's not a washed rind cheese and I think the nubbins will likely be on there when it's being bitten into.
Time will tell....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Tomer1

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »

You can get some port style Pom wine from rimon winery. They export to the US.
They use highly toasted barrels which give the port smokey notes, Its very interesting.