Author Topic: Boofer's Fancy  (Read 18342 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Boofer's Fancy
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
"YMMV" aka "Your Mileage May Vary".

Yes, Kathrin, most of the rind treatments I have learned about can do an excellent job protecting the inner paste. That has been my experience...others may not fare as well...or may surpass my success.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tom Turophile

Re: Boofer's Fancy
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
Boofer, did you keep washing it with the liquor?
I stopped washing with the liqueur (not to be confused with hard liquor) several weeks ago. This was a different kind of cheese. I have done cheeses with schmiers before and they were quite nice (Esrom, Tilsit), but they didn't include alcohol in the wash.

With this cheese attempt, I used straight fruit liqueur with a 16%ABV and no salt. Perhaps if I had used some salt in the mix, the result would have been different. My question might be how do the other cheese makers create a cheese washed in liqueur or liquor such as Epoisses with marc de Bourgogne, or Timanoix with walnut brandy.

a dry rind that is now impervious to molds.
When developed, the rinds of the cheeses I mentioned are quite impervious to alien incursions. Such is the case with virtually any cheese to which you may introduce your own protective cultures (PLA, SR3, GEO, PC, etc.). At least, that has been my meager experience. YMMV.

-Boofer-

That Timanoix with walnut brandy, aka Trappe Echourgnac, aka my newest favorite cheese, is my ultimate goal to emulate.  I was thinking a washed-rind, but I was reading the Drunken Goat recipe yesterday, where they let it sit in wine for the first few days.